1/200 USS Arizona, with the works

Squizzy 78

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the interest in this build. Building a 1/200 battleship is a great build, but also a long term project, for the next few months I'll have a break from my Arizona project, and build a aircraft. On my first Arizona I went straight through start to finish, and the build quality dropped off, due to the fact I wasn't enjoying it. I don't want that to happen here, so I'm starting a trumpeter hornet, and will then return to my Arizona battleship. 

On 11/12/2018 at 2:43 AM, themongoose said:

Great stuff so far. Excited to see how joining the upper and lower halves go. Any advice on this step once you’re through it would be great :speak_cool:

Joining the two half's isn't that bad, but it's a lot of work. Due to the fact that trumpeter provide a lot of plastic, it's just a question of how much putty and how much sanding. But I think it's important to ensure that the two half's have a very strong bond that's flexible. I used the revel professional glue, not ca glue as the ca glue won't have any give once set. So I used plenty of glue, after 24 hours, I taped the join either side with tamiya tape, and used the basic tamiya putty the smooth out the join with a lot of sanding. 

• 5 months later...

I hope not to steal the thunder from Squizzy's wonderful build, but nearly a year ago I posted information about the problem the USS Arizona Memorial was having with the access onto the memorial itself.  I thought it was time to give you folks an update; especially for anyone who might be planning a trip here with plans to visit the memorial.

In May of 2018, the staff determined that the concrete structure used for visitors to disembark the boat and provide access to the gangway leading onto the memorial itself; was damaged.  Access to the memorial was suspended until repairs could be made, and first estimates were "probably a couple of weeks."  That quickly changed into "two months" and then into "the fall."  Then, it was hoped that it could be completed by the December 7th Anniversary ceremonies, but that didn't happen, either.  They then said "by the end of March."  And, when that date rolled around, they said "fall."

The current explanation for the delay is that the large anchoring screws that anchor the structure to the seafloor are being custom made.

This is one of the State's largest tourist attractions, and frankly, I am disgusted and angered that it has taken this long to accomplish so little.  The memorial IS very much worth visiting, although it does not give you quite the same experience if you cannot go onto the memorial; read the names of those interred there; and reflect on the location and events of it's history.

Whenever the repairs finally DO get completed, I will re-post on this thread to let all of you know.  -Mike

Mike, thanks so much for the update, it is a place that I personally think everyone should visit when in Hawaii. It is a very strange feeling looking pictures of the aftermath of the attack, and seeing what it is today. 

As a side note, this build is by no means shelved, but I do consider myself as a aircraft modeller, and I use this build as a break. Currently I am working on a F-117, and when that is completed, I will return to the Uss Arizona build and complete the hull and deck. 

She looks great so far. I am close to starting my 1/350 version with all the after market goodies and will follow your build with great interest. Maybe next year I'll have the courage to get the 1/200 version.

I worked for the Navy as a civilian from 1980 until very recently. In the early 80's I worked extensively on the Missouri and New Jersey. I was a draftsman and did the drawings for the upgraded fuel oil system, forced draft blower mods and a bunch of other stuff. On one occasion we had to meet Missouri in Pearl Harbor for a shipcheck. As we were coming in to land Missouri was just pulling in and we flew over her as the sailors were out in their dress whites to salute Arizona. It brought a tear to my eye. It was the most beautiful sight. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me but I'll never forget it.

Albert if you create a build thread for your 1/350 uss Arizona, I'll definitely be following it, and I can only recommend that you jump on board in getting the 1/200 ships as well. I also have the 1/200 uss Missouri, which my wife got for me!!!! And that is a beast of a model!