1/200 USS Arizona, with the works

Squizzy 78

It's funny, this is my first build thread, on a plane forum and I'm doing a battleship. But I like it here, and most models I build are 1/32 jets. So here I go!

A few years ago I was lucky enough to go on holidays to Hawaii, and my wife and I went to Pearl Harbour. Such an amazing place, it's very moving and motivating. At the time, I build this same kit, but I wasn't happy with the way I'd finished it. So now it's take two, and I'm going to put everything in this I can. And with an upcoming third holiday in March to Hawaii, motivation is at peak.

29904990118_95ed96956b_b.jpg

Here's the kit, and an American flag that was flown over the Arizona memorial on December 7th, during the 69th anniversary of the attack. I was able to get the flag during my first trip to Pearl Harbour. 

So far on my new kit, I've drilled out the portholes, and fixed some that are modelled out of shape. I've also filled a huge hole in the deck that was made for R/c versions of the kit,  and started rebuilding the hawse pipes.

28839054817_fbd38072d5_b.jpg

Any and all feedback and advice is welcomed.

cheers.

Guest Maxim

I look forward to the build as it's a nice kit. Do you have a wooden deck and after market photoetch in store for it?

Thanks for following my build. 

Maxim, in answer to your question, I'm going to jam as much after market gear on this baby as I can. 

The photo etch is going to be a combination of the ka set and Eduard sets. The deck is going to be a set from scale deck, which their sets look simply amazing! As well as some 3d printed chains and anchors that are on shapeways, with a mountain of ever green strine for some scratch building. 

Thanks for looking. 

Hey Squizzy, I'd like to join the followers as well, all the way from Canada.....................you're right Pearl is an 'amazing' ( I hate that word) place, and when I was there many years ago now, I was so ...................I can't even explain it, .......... to be where history took place in such a famous spot....................made my heart pound, and I was in awe to say the very least....... I'd love to go back  again, and spend much more time there........ I will also watch your build with much interest, I wish I had the talent to undertake such a project........ silly question..... how did you get the flag? I be it cost you a bundle eh??

Cheers for now

Jeff

Jeff,  it is hard how to describe Pearl Harbor. Some areas are sad, some leave you in awe. All are extremely interesting from the Uss Bowfin submarine, Uss Missouri, the Pacific Aviation Museum and of course the Arizona memorial. 

I got the flag from the visitor centre at Pearl Harbor, along with a set of coins that were made for the 70th anniversary of the attack. I believe you can purchase a flag flown on any date, but December 7 flags would no doubt be the most popular. From memory I think it cost about $350 us, but cheaper ones are available not in the timber and glass box. 

Since I live in Hawaii, I can provide a little information that you may not be aware of, (for anyone planning a trip here in the near future).  The visitor's center was rebuilt only a few years ago, and is a vast improvement on what was there before.  One of the buildings has a 'builder's model' of the USS Arizona in a glass case that will help you visualize some details that may be difficult to see on a photo.  In fact, one of our IPMS Hawaii members, (a diver who helped conduct the hand-over-hand mapping survey that allowed them to produce an as-it-sits drawing), built a 1/700 diorama of the memorial over the ship so people could see how they fit together.  The memorial was so impressed by it that they commissioned a larger professionally-built model in the same scale as the builder's model (1/96, if I remember correctly).  It is really great to compare the two models.

Anyway, about a month ago, they discovered defects in the 'landing' that connects the visitor boats to the memorial; and that has stopped visitors from actually being able to go onto the memorial itself.  Original predictions were that it could be repaired fairly quickly, but they are now saying it will probably be at least another two months.  That should NOT stop you from going to the visitor's center, (and you are still able to ride the boat out to the memorial; you just can't go onto it right now).

The gift shop does sell United States flags that have been flown over the memorial, and I know that - in the past - you could make special arrangements to have (a Veteran's flag, for instance), flown over it and documented as such.  I don't know if they still are doing that, but I can go check if anyone is interested.  -Mike

Wow, thanks for that tid bit Mike, Pearl is a VERY interesting place, and I do remember when I was there ( back in the early '80s') ) the visitor center was rather sparse... I do recall being in awe that the Arizona was still leaking oil, and I have seen lately she still is.... that is incredible after all these years and what she went through..........I remember the USS Bowfin as well, a great visit there too, but LONG before they added Mighty Mo..... now there is an exhibit I'd LOVE to see, much history there......to be at the place where the war started for the USA and to be on the same ship basically where it ended.... how cool is that.................  The Missouri has a family connection...... I have a second cousin who was a war correspondent for Reuters, and          ( This is documented) , was with Doug MacArthur in Corrigador, my second cousin, escaped the island under fire in a stolen boat in the dark................... you can't make this up............ and he was with MacArthur for the whole war and was on BB63 at the surrender ceremonies....... my wife found all this doing the family research thing........................personally, I think that is really cool.......

Sorry Squizzy, getting a bit off topic here..... but the Arizona and Missouri, and Perl Harbor is so interesting....... I will be following your build of this magnificent ship and kit........ 

Jeff

Typhoonattack thanks for the tip, I already have the Squadron at sea Uss Arizona book and I also have Uss Arizona ships data, which is very similar, but both are good. 

Maxim I have looked at the 3d Uss Arizona book, but I didn't know if it was any good, so thanks for the tip! 

I've also ordered the Paul Stillwell book for the Arizona, I have his book for the Missouri another 1/200 scale project that'll be huge! But if his Arizona book is half as good as the Missouri book, I'm laughing.