Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

Well, the cursed COVID continues and so does this build. Over 2 years now and lots more to do. I've slowed down a bit lately due to other things on the go but there is some progress - probably not as much as you'd like. but there is some

I spent a few hours on the dome thing on the bottom and I am pretty happy with how it's come out (one 1 side anyway - haven't done the other yet). I've added stuff to the man hull plates and now I'm concentrating on the raise edges along the center of the ship. I'm going to do concentrated pockets of details here and there but lessen it as I work outward

You can see the difference in the 2 sides one of the overall shots. It's pretty bare on the right and not so much on the left. As I say frequently, I need to be careful not to loose the sheer size of it with too much detail. From afar, and under paint, it'll look a lot less busy but up close is where the time spent on this will come through.

Anyway, enough words, you came to see pics, so here's my latest update

50311805657_32b544c563_c.jpg

50311804322_9b959d9db9_c.jpg

50310963243_215ca22461_c.jpg

Looks like I need to fix a couple of sprue pipe too:

50311628816_2466926c46_c.jpg

50310960843_6c734f7b36_c.jpg

50310959618_8c0a628cea_c.jpg

50310955948_40b0a5f2bf_c.jpg

50311793922_0af3082e70_c.jpg

Anyways, that's all I have sorry. Sorry for the yellowish photos but I couldn't be bothered getting the light tent set up tonight, but next time, I'll hopefully have better quality photos

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look!

Stay safe and I'll catch you round the boards

Si

As promised, here are a couple of pics of the start of my base. Doesn't look much now but these are just detail tiles which will form a much bigger area later on

50319729412_0845a4cb06_c.jpg

50319550376_8e1e702b63_c.jpg

Yes, there will be a trench for X-Wings to run down to :)

This base idea is nothing new, but I have always wanted to have a go at building something like this and this is the perfect time. If it fails, then I'll just stick to a pole and mirror (with something built along the sides or similar. I have a back up plan!)

See you soon

Lovely work! And the base will be amazing when done.

Too bad you couldn't incorporate some sort of accurate curvature to the base, but I'm not sure how much curve the panels would evsk have at that scale.

Either way, well done!

thanks guys! I won't lie, it has been a test of my patience and perseverance, but I am determined to get it finished. Maybe even this year - but it's doubtful

Brian, I may very well have curvature if the resin warps :D I'm going to try put some brass rod into the plates when I go to cast them to try stop that from happening but I won't count on it

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well, my replacement grid sheets finally arrived last week and I have now finished my master which I will make a cast of tomorrow and hopefully, will be able to produce enough copies to cover a large area.

Started off with this:

IMG_7882

IMG_7883

Ended up with this:

IMG_7885 IMG_7887

IMG_7888

Will post the results of the casting even if it fails

Thanks for looking

Si