Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

On 2/1/2024 at 2:14 PM, The Madhatter said:

No, no fighters in the trench sadly. If I add anymore ships or such, it becomes a diorama and that's not what I'm aiming for. Currently,  its a ship with a fancy base and for comp, that's what i need :)

Could you split the difference, and hide say, a TIE wing, or X wing gun down in the greeblies somewhere? :)

hi again

Time for another update to this on-going saga. Almost finished the right side mid level - just some more detail to add and then it's onto the final detailing stage of the top plate.

The left side is pretty much done as I want it to be. just a couple more detail bits but not much

So, starting with the left side:

20240204_181527

20240204_181547

20240204_181533

20240204_191447

Now the right side:

20240210_180024

20240210_175952

20240210_175944

There are a couple more photos but something weird is going on with Flickr right now which is causing images not to post properly. I have advanced a fair bit in the time  since these photos were taken, but the next update will be the finished levels (not painted)

If you have any constructive feedback, by all means, please let me know - I won't get any better without it.

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Till next time

Si

just as an FYI, but my final obstacle with this build has just been over come with the fiber optic store finally getting back into business.

I have just ordered 60 feet of end glow cable for 50% off - so normally that'd be $108 but got it for $54 with shipping making it $85AU - and that is a steal really when it used to cost me that much for just 20 feet!

So, if you are in the market for some fiber optic cable to spice up your build, https://thefiberopticstore.com/ is the place to go.

No, I am not being paid or sponsored by them in any way (I wish!) - I just really like their product!

Happy building!

Evening all

Thought I'd post a quick update of where I'm up to. Since Friday last week, I have been working on the top plate. I was asked elsewhere if I could elaborate a bit more on the process of detailing. I thought the top plate edging would be a good subject to show how I do things.

Quick disclaimer -  I am not a professional modeller and my work is pretty average in terms of tidiness but I try. I have seen some seriously amazing scratch builders here and on other sites, with some actual skills they could teach which is why I feel like a little bit of a fraud doing this as what I do pales in comparison. But I said I would, so here goes.

First, I had to measure out how much over hang I wanted and then conform the back edge to the edge of the existing base plate:

20240217_142230

20240217_142340

Then I drew out a basic outline of the edges:

20240217_160237

resulting in:

20240217_163459

Using the waste material from the base layer cut, I then made a second layer. This was then flipped over and every edge lined with 0.20x0.20 strip plastic. I have run out of strip already - I used an entire pack on just 3 sides with the rear ones still to go. I'll be in the city on Friday so I'll pick some more up then

20240218_210554

20240218_230844

20240218_231224

20240218_231735

So that's 2 evenings worth of work. Now I have started to detail the lower ledges. Once they've been done, I'll permanently attach them and then blend in the upper surface to the plates. Then the detailing will be done and I can move onto painting and lighting it all.

20240219_225309

20240219_225608

As you can see, I've found a good use for all those left over PE radar bits I have lying around. They make for some great details :) 

I hope I haven't insulted anyone's skill levels with my very basic and rudimentary attempts at scratch building, but I'm hopeful it will help someone out with some ideas..

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon, I just finished looking through your build thread.  Awesome skills all around man!  This is the best SD build I have ever seen.  You mentioned in my build thread that you could only aspire to the scratch building I have done so far - don't sell yourself short, yout work is every bit as good if not better then mine!  Beautiful and skillful work, much respect!

Ernest

well thank you Ernest - that's very kind of you to say. Whilst I bag myself out occasionally, I know I'm not that bad - the view count confirms that for me.

I just think that there's a big difference in being able to scratch build something fictional compared to being able to build an accurate replica of something real.

And that's why I have the utmost respect for guys, like yourself, who have that innate ability to be able to recreate even just the smallest things with such accuracy.

But I'm going to accept your kind post with much gratitude anyways :)