Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

• 1 month later...

no sorry. I have masked most of the black on the top half of the hull but I haven't touched it for a few weeks now. It's sitting here looking at me and I know I need to press on, but I have also started a non WIP project in the form of the Scharnhorst (1/350) as I needed a break. And now the Scharnhorst has taken a back seat to the SF-90 but that's OK as I also intend to get back to masking this weekend as I want to get this done.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks mate :) The fun part is remembering where I stuck micro pieces of tape to the surface once the other layers have gone on! That's why I took 30 pics on my phone just of the black masking, and I'll do the same again for the next 2 colours. Tedious for sure but I believe it'll be worth it.

oooohhh that's so seriously tempting! I'll have to find some more images to see if that's something I can actually do

thanks Brett.

I had a possum in my roof until Tuesday night when it fell through the ceiling into my office-like area where I build and have my older builds on a shelf. I used to have a BR-52, a custom batmobile, a really snazzy SU33  a one of a kind Sith Interceptor and the start of a Sith Silencer until Tuesday night.

I now also have to clean possum pee off the lower hull of the SD.

Thank god I had the Scharnhorst with the box lid on and the SF90 hidden away, just in case. 

When I started work yesterday morning, all I could say was what the actual f*$k. In my home country of Nu Zullund, its not illegal to make a pie and a hat out of one. Luckily for him, here in Oz, they're protected.

At least I have some new shelf space now. It's a shame it came at such a price is all. 

Edited by The Madhatter

1 hour ago, The Madhatter said:

oooohhh that's so seriously tempting! I'll have to find some more images to see if that's something I can actually do

thanks Brett.

I had a possum in my roof until Tuesday night when it fell through the ceiling into my office-like area where I build and have my older builds on a shelf. I used to have a BR-52, a custom batmobile, a really snazzy SU33  a one of a kind Sith Interceptor and the start of a Sith Silencer until Tuesday night.

I now also have to clean possum pee off the lower hull of the SD.

Thank god I had the Scharnhorst with the box lid on and the SF90 hidden away, just in case. 

When I started work yesterday morning, all I could say was what the actual f*$k. In my home country of Nu Zullund, its not illegal to make a pie and a hat out of one. Luckily for him, here in Oz, they're protected.

At least I have some new shelf space now. It's a shame it came at such a price is all. 

Well. I didn't expect to read about anyone having to clean possum piss off their model SD today. Wow! Hope it cleans up AND that it never happens to you again!

It shouldn't do as it was just the 1 possum that was residing in the roof.  The whole thing got replaced as did the cladding around the house up until Minday when the builders finally finished up and patched the last remaining entry point to the roof space. I knew he was there as I could hear him scratching around, and there was a water damage spot right above my desk that I knew could collapse if any weight was added to the back of it. The possum stepped on it and fell through, landing on a shelf above my workspace. Then it jumped down onto the floor and proceeded to clumb up my bookcase which had a fair number of historical builds including the Venator and a 72nd B2 which thankfully survived mostly in tact. The worst hit was the BR52 which was in 1000 pieces and the SU33 which was destroyed. Both have gone in the bin whuch was a shame as Iiked both , especially the 52 as that took me 6 months or so to build.  

As I was inspecting the Star Destroyer hull for damage I saw pee marks and some details have disappeared and will have to be remade.  The upper deck was spared and damage or other such issues.

Well, moving on, the dark gray has been masked and now for the next and final shade of gray before the base coat goes down. I'm noticing that some of the paint is lifting which is not a good sign. This may end up being a total waste of time. We shall see

20221129_235313

20221129_235259

Well, that's where she's at. Still a long way to go yet, but I'm getting somewhere
Thanks for your patience and indulging me with this never ending build (4 years now!)

Si