Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Well, I have finally sorted out my last remaining hurdle and it's onto the final stretch - more or less. Yep, I have finally sorted out my mounting device and at long last, I will be able to slip the ship on and off it's mount (I'm not sure how many times I would want to but for transportation this will be invaluable)

all I have to do is attach the sleeve onto the bottom of the ship and we're good to go. I've got it so I have 4 separate power lines which I will be able to distribute to hangar bay lights, engines, superstructure and floodlights.

It's by no means pretty but it works which is more important. The wires will travel down the back side of the armature into the base. Once I have the last bit of wire covered, I'll paint it all black

IMG_8481

IMG_8488

IMG_8491

IMG_8487

As I said, not the prettiest stuff ever but I had to make do with what I had

Anyway, that's it for now.

As always, thanks for looking

Si

• 8 months later...

wow - it has been a while hasn't it? Hi all, and thanks for stopping in. First of, sorry for the really long delay in doing anything to it until recently. RL has interfered a lot as have other projects blah blah. We all know the reasons why etc that things go on hold but, I do have an update that's worth showing

So, I am unable to paint anything ATM due to weather and other such stuff like getting ready to move up north to Brisbane at the end of the year, plus a reno and as such, that limited my options. But I have been chomping at the bit to get restarted on just something to do with this build as its just dragging on and on (rather my my words) so I thought I would continue on with the base.

And I must say, so far, I am super happy with it. It's coming out way better than I had hoped so far! I am almost finished the edging on the top plate as you'll see in a sec and the shape of it is working perfectly. I will need to cast another 2 or 3 plates and some more of the original plating for the bottom and mid tiers, but that won't take too long

So, first up, the top plate as it is now:

IMG_8618

The advantages of using resin is you can sand it super thin and then remove excess bits with a sharp knife to create new shapes

IMG_8616

IMG_8614

IMG_8611

IMG_8617

And the bottom plate has also had some treatment started to it. There is HEAPS more to do of course

IMG_8610

IMG_8609

And combined, it starts to take shape. There is a tier to go in between them but not there just yet

IMG_8604

IMG_8605

IMG_8606

IMG_8608

Well, that's it now for the next 3 months.... nah, just kidding. It's 7 if you're lucky

Hopefully the next update will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any continued interest

Till then!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Quick update

The edging is all done and putty applied. Still a couple of spots to clean up but nothing dramatic.

I've started to add some more detailing to the surface, with some gun batteries which i thought could be quite cool. I'm not trying to replicate the DS or its surface to its filming parents, so the relevancy of their existence is mute. Looking at them, I do need to change the shape slightly to mask their origins though. Just on the bottom front corners I think

I'm looking at making some kind of central building structure, like a control center of sorts, again, just to break up the surface more. Not too high, but high enough. I've been furiously rummaging through the spares box looking for something suitable but nothing is matching my idea, so I think it'll have to be scratch built.

Anyways, enough words

IMG_8619

IMG_8620

I just started the detailing, but you get the idea of where its going

IMG_8621

IMG_8622

IMG_8626

That's all for now, but open to ideas, suggestions or constructive critique

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all

For the past 2 weeks (well, more like 6 days when combined) I have been working away on the top plate. I decided to make something to go on top as I feel it needs more visual interest. Yeah, I know its the DS tiles I'm using but I don't really want this to BE the Death Star - more, my own interpretation. I wouldn't go calling my display a battle-station. Probably more a mechanical planet :) 

It's far from being finished - I still have heaps to do, but before I really get lost in this and put more energy into it, I thought l'd just get a general gauge if this is a good idea or not

It's basically superstructure parts from my ill-fated Bismark and other bits and bobs. My favorite bit is the landing platforms

IMG_8643

IMG_8637

IMG_8638

IMG_8640

IMG_8641

IMG_8642

this is where Im intending to put it

IMG_8647

IMG_8649

If all else fails, it could always be a new hull part of a space ship

IMG_8651

Well, that's it for now, but feel free to let me know what you think. 

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look