Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

15 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Hey cib2265, Madhatter, and anyone else who has this kit in their stash:

When you looked at the main kit elements and got a feel for the overall size of the finished product for the first time, what was your immediate reaction?

Was it "That's big but I thought it would be bigger" or "wow that's quite large!" or "My God, it's huge!"

Just wondering.

"thats big but i thought it would be bigger"

I really would like about 50% bigger, say 3 feet long, as a true representation of the subject. They picked a really good intermediate scale, but it feels like a 1/48 aircraft....if that makes sense.

On 8/4/2018 at 6:07 PM, The Madhatter said:

I'll have to go have a look for it later.

Yeah, I'm using 0.25 as well - anything bigger would look just too big and not in scale.

How are you displaying yours? 1 post or 2? I'm thinking 2 poles but I wouldn't mind something other than just posts over a flat stand as that's just a bit boring. I did think of having it hovering over a lit city scape but I'm might save that for the SSD

I have plenty of time to think it over

You should post some pics of your build on here Chris - I'd like to see what you've done

Si

Im either going to use my 3 prong 6 inch Flightpose stand, or 3 x 3mm carbon fibre rods on a base. Mine has a lot of added weight to it due to the fleet of small ships and docking statiosn I've added, so I need a robust stand. hope to be working on that this week.

I sure will post some pics, but probably after I finished - ive been taking pics as I go, I need to have this finished before the end of the month for QMHE!

Oh you could try magnetic floating display - I might try something like that in the future, maybe with my 1/72 PG Falcon....

11 hours ago, cib2265 said:

"thats big but i thought it would be bigger"

I really would like about 50% bigger, say 3 feet long, as a true representation of the subject. They picked a really good intermediate scale, but it feels like a 1/48 aircraft....if that makes sense.

Thanks.  Yes, I get what you mean by 1/48 or an intermediate scale.

That is kind of my fear with the kit.  It looks great, but I kind of wish it was bigger.

19 hours ago, Maxim said:

This Zvezda is a really nice kit. I also have the Randy Cooper 38" star destroyer which is huge. So if you want to go bigger below is the link. I am also a big Sci Fi nut.

MMM_COOPER_AVENGER_KIT_004-640x414.jpg

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=89219

Thanks.  I know about this kit, it's been around a while now.

$625 is a bit steep though for this sort of subject matter, at least for me.  

That RC star destroyer does look fantastic though. 

19 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Somehow I don't see getting that one past Mrs CAT.

You know, after I made that post, I was thinking how cool it would be if you did have a 1/72 scale star destroyer, largely so you could display a 1/72 M.F. or X-wing next to it, and truly get a sense of the enormity of the star destroyer.

Then I thought "Maybe you don't need the whole ship to accomplish the task."

Then I thought it might be cool to pick an interesting little piece of the star destroyer's surface, and scratch-build it in 1/72 scale.

Make it big enough to be impressive, and use it as like a base over which your x-wing (for example) could be displayed.

Like maybe a 2' x 2' chunk or something.  Could be kind of cool.

40 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

You know, after I made that post, I was thinking how cool it would be if you did have a 1/72 scale star destroyer, largely so you could display a 1/72 M.F. or X-wing next to it, and truly get a sense of the enormity of the star destroyer.

Then I thought it might be cool to pick an interesting little piece of the star destroyer's surface, and scratch-build it in 1/72 scale.

Make it big enough to be impressive, and use it as like a base over which your x-wing (for example) could be displayed.

You could build the back of the neck and mount one of the 1/72 Millennium Falcon kits to it and recreate the scene from Empire Strikes Back. 

Carl

Guest Maxim
1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Thanks.  I know about this kit, it's been around a while now.

$625 is a bit steep though for this sort of subject matter, at least for me.  

That RC star destroyer does look fantastic though. 

Understand, but when you look at what you get and it's a limited number that will be made I think it's not that bad. I have a Polar Lights refit Enterprise in 1/350scale and after adding the lights and paints, mask sets etc plus photo etch I'm out nearly $700 and I haven't even started building yet.

Edited by Maxim

57 minutes ago, Maxim said:

Understand, but when you look at what you get and it's a limited number that will be made I think it's not that bad. I have a Polar Lights refit Enterprise in 1/350scale and after adding the lights and paints, mask sets etc plus photo etch I'm out nearly $700 and I haven't even started building yet.

I managed to get an incredibly good deal on the TOS Enterprise with lighting and PE a few years ago, so I was able to come in under $250 all told. I love me some TOS, but $700 would be past the limit. Unless it was 1/200, or bigger?

Edited by CATCplSlade

Guest Maxim

My light set up cost me about $300. Then a mask set at $50.00 and pearl effect paints cost about $60. Then the kit and photo etch and new decals.

22 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I intend on doing this as a trench run using a 1/72 B-Wing and TIE Interceptor from ROTJ

On 8/6/2018 at 10:20 AM, BloorwestSiR said:

You could build the back of the neck and mount one of the 1/72 Millennium Falcon kits to it and recreate the scene from Empire Strikes Back. 

Carl

You might appreciate that link i had posted if it had actually gone to where i wanted it to go. Will fix it up tonight 

Nice job on the Y Wing too Nessus!

Edited by The Madhatter

hopefully this link will work. Paste it into Google for the translated version but the pics speak for themselves

I just want to say, this is the guy I developed my taste for detailing from. He inspired me to go outside my comfort level  and when you have a look through his various threads - especially the Attack Cruiser (Venator). It's incredible

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yatasith/folder/1811646.html

Enjoy!

Update #1 - playing with the back end

So this is what Zvezda give you in terms of detail OOB

43222560564_697814779a_c.jpg

Nothing wrong with that at all. Once those bells go on, you don't see much unless you're looking

I removed the molded on pipes in the middle here because they don't even meet up to the parts at the end. They seem pointless and half done, which on a ship this size is noticeable

43036393935_16031e2476_c.jpg

Now here's what I've added to the surfaces (bear in mind I have only just started and there is a LOT more to do yet! I am just winging these details BTW)

The white bits are all cast resin pieces of bits I use a lot of

42132828190_184788be33_c.jpg

42132819280_0007c981be_c.jpg

42132813090_a63d151d5b_c.jpg

30072668378_f13c01e8c0_c.jpg

30072660508_c8caa41a2a_c.jpg

30072652598_72489a71b1_c.jpg

As you can see in those last 2 pics, I've gone outside what is on the filming model and added an insert to make things a little more interesting. I'll be adding some pipes going in later

Anyways, I'll update again once I've finished the other sides which will be a while away as I only build 3 nights a week

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si