Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

The Madhatter

Hi everyone

Well, time to bite the bullet and start on the "smaller" of the 2 Star Destroyers I have in my stash (well really, the Bandai mini SD's are the smallest I have but they are not ones I am going to detail). The bigger one is the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer which measures out to be about a meter or so long! The Bandai ones are to go with the SSD. I will build the monster one day but I want to tackle the one that requires the least amount of work first. I'll have to clear some room on my display shelf even for the standard SD but I think this will be worth it.

This kit needs no introduction as there have been a multitude of these built online. I bought this ages ago but just haven't had the mojo to put in the effort it deserves.

I will be adding details and of course lighting (which goes without saying really). To go with this kit, I have the Falcon 3D printed hangar bay, rubbish chute, shield generators and engine bells - all of which are beautifully made and smooth as a babies behind. I might even go to Shapeways and order a set of gun turrets too.

No pictures as yet as I have only just started but I'll add some soon enough.

As always, your feedback will be welcomed throughout the build - good or bad. If something looks wrong, say something. As nice as it is, I don't always need a "good job" and constructive critique is a good way to learn and be a better modeller. 

I will be starting with the engine block and have already removed the smaller molded on piping as they don't connect to the parts that they're meant to. It just looks weird

29891537568_f3ee6a9c35_c.jpg

See you all again soon

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Can't wait to see you work your magic on this.  Great to hear that the Falcon 3D bits are nice. I might just have to get those after all.

What lighting kit are you using? The Falcon 3D one looks nice but is a bit pricey.  There is a Russian set but I've never actually seen one used. 

I've got the Tenacontrols one for my kit but you've got to do some soldering which will be a challenge for me. 

Carl

Thanks for the interest guys.  I'm hoping to have something to show soon

I checked out the PLASMO build and its very nicely done. Im not sure about that method of panel highlighting though. It doesn't seem to suited somehow. But thats just me

The Falcon set is really nice and worth the money. I don't have a lighting kit, just my own stuff as I think that's cheaper and just as effective. I did think briefly about using an Arduino board but there's nothing that needs that kind of control.

See you all again soon 

Looking forward to your build - I'm about 2/3rds through mine, hoping to have it finished in time for the Qld state comp.

I also used the 3d chute and shield generators, both fit flawlessly. 

Im in the Facebook Zvezda/Revell SD group if you want to check it out, didn't think to link it here!

I'm using 0.25mm fibre optics are you going with same? 0.5mm seems way too big to me.

I'll have to go have a look for it later.

Yeah, I'm using 0.25 as well - anything bigger would look just too big and not in scale.

How are you displaying yours? 1 post or 2? I'm thinking 2 poles but I wouldn't mind something other than just posts over a flat stand as that's just a bit boring. I did think of having it hovering over a lit city scape but I'm might save that for the SSD

I have plenty of time to think it over

You should post some pics of your build on here Chris - I'd like to see what you've done

Si

Hey cib2265, Madhatter, and anyone else who has this kit in their stash:

When you looked at the main kit elements and got a feel for the overall size of the finished product for the first time, what was your immediate reaction?

Was it "That's big but I thought it would be bigger" or "wow that's quite large!" or "My God, it's huge!"

Just wondering.

I don't have the kit, but I don't imagine my reaction would be too strong as I have a number of large kits in my stash already, such as the Italeri SS-100 German patrol boat in 1/35, as well as several of the large bombers and railroad sets in similar scale. The Perfect Grade Falcon is pretty big, although I wouldn't mind it being bigger (although I probably wouldn't be able to afford a bigger one).

I'd love a Star Destroyer, but my anal retentiveness over scale makes me want it to match the rest of my Bandai 1/72 kits.

5 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I don't have the kit, but I don't imagine my reaction would be too strong as I have a number of large kits in my stash already, such as the Italeri SS-100 German patrol boat in 1/35, as well as several of the large bombers and railroad sets in similar scale. The Perfect Grade Falcon is pretty big, although I wouldn't mind it being bigger (although I probably wouldn't be able to afford a bigger one).

I'd love a Star Destroyer, but my anal retentiveness over scale makes me want it to match the rest of my Bandai 1/72 kits.

You should scratch build one! 

It would only be about 72 feet, or 22 meters, long!