1:1 B-17 walkaround

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel like watching Memphis Bell again.

Sure would like to take that ride, although I reckon they should take it up to 25,000 and give you an eight hour ride to better get the full historical feel of it :D.

Do they give you a parachute, just in case? Although I suppose a chute wouldn't help much at that low altitude though...

No photos from the top turret or rear gunners positions. Are all these stations off limits as well as the ball turret?

Any thanks again and good luck with the build mattyfarm.

Making the bomb run on San Jose. Norden bombsight between my knees. What looks like an explosion and shock wave is just the flash of the camera. Sorry to disappoint...

I'm sure the citiciens of San Jose don't mind. B)

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Do they give you a parachute, just in case? Although I suppose a chute wouldn't help much at that low altitude though...

No photos from the top turret or rear gunners positions. Are all these stations off limits as well as the ball turret?

Hey Koala!

Nope, no chutes. If we crashed, my last thought would have been "what a great way to go out!" Anyone who knows me would have thought the same thing. My spirit would have mourned the loss of the plane more that the loss of my mortal shell. :rolleyes:

Ball turret and tailgun were off limits, no matter how much whining I did. Top turret was easy to get to. Due to the cramped space and proximity of the plexiglas, photos inside the turret were lousy, though the view was great.

This photo is looking aft from the pilot's position. If the guy in the hat took half a step back and a big step up, he'd be on the platform for the top turret. Turret control handles poke into your abdomen. Note canvas bags on either side to collect spent shell casings. Turret control handles were inoperative (...of course I tried!)

BTW Koala, I've been following your P-38 build since July. Outstanding work!

Matty

post-8-1129559017.jpg

Hey, is that an Me-109 at 4 o'clock?

Me on the right waist .50.

That's all for now. Hope you like these photos as much as I liked taking them!

Matty

So, how many 172's and Cherokees were downed? <_<

Nice pics, and a great experience, I can imagine :rolleyes: