Fisher AD-5 & AD-5W Guppy Conversions - Fluorescent Misadventure.

seiran01

On deck once the Skyraiders are done... Maybe with something(s) similar at the same time :whistle:

WIv0996h.jpg

4x Fisher Zuni pods and Gimlet launchers I designed in cad and printed @ Shapeways. I've gone back and redesigned the Gimlet flat pack launcher to increase the diameter of the tubes slightly, and the length by 6 scale inches, new prints should land while I'm out of town. These were 2" diameter unguided rockets that never went past the testing stage but were flown @ China Lake in this flat 6 pack launcher configuration on Banshees and this Panther. 

Nice work, Mike, and good looking follow up project. I have one of those in the stash myself!

Maybe I will have to twist your arm to do a CAD/3D project for me. Trying to figure out these rockets:

1028441233_G91w_Rockets.jpg.386dd772466578ba3f7ce4f2d4f9854a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back in business!  The last few weeks have been a blur with work trips and such, most of the modelling time available was spend sanding out the annoying steps in the Guppy wings and working on getting all my goofs and seams hidden, panel lines rescribed. Here's the trainer now, ready to prime tomorrow with Mr Surfacer White or Mr Base White. Engine was slapped together and simply painted steel as so little can be seen with the closed cowl flaps, exhausts still need painting.  Cowl and engine are not glued yet and are resting in place for the photo. 

Looking at the few photos available of the fluoro-red trainers, it's obvious the red fades quickly but underneath all the exhaust and oil staining, the rest of the fuselage looks pretty freshly painted - so with that in mind I'm not doing any preshading of panel lines. 

FMxaED4h.jpg

You will probably want sunglasses on before looking at this photo. It's seriously hurting my eyes to have this fuselage in front of me right now. But I'm loving it anyway!

Light Ghost Gray is Hataka orange line (lacquer). It's my first time using Hataka paints and I'm quite pleased with the paint once you thin it down far enough. 

Coat of leveling thinner, gloss coat, and engine weathering are up tomorrow and over the weekend. 

9cYXVhBh.jpg

Mike that is SUPERB!

I love the contrast with the fluo orange/red. To be honest i have been trying for a while to find a kit just to use those shades of red orange on and still haven’t made up my mind. Do you think Paul’s conversion would work on a ZM kit without necessitating major surgery?

Amazing work.  I'm actually thinking about going for one of these conversions now.   I really wish Fisher would consider releasing the ECM version (I can't recall it's designation) or at least a few additional decal options for the utility version.   

Question - was the rear compartment on the utility version really that barren?  I figured there would at least be a couple of seats and/or some avionics gear in the back.   Looks strange being completely empty.   I tried going online to get some pics of the real thing, strangely, although there are some really nice pics of the front cockpit (including this really cool 360 view  http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/SEAW_tour/SEAW-1.html ) I have yet to find any pics of what the rear compartment of actual service aircraft looked like.  

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Amazing work.  I'm actually thinking about going for one of these conversions now.   I really wish Fisher would consider releasing the ECM version (I can't recall it's designation) or at least a few additional decal options for the utility version.   

Question - was the rear compartment on the utility version really that barren?  I figured there would at least be a couple of seats and/or some avionics gear in the back.   Looks strange being completely empty.   I tried going online to get some pics of the real thing, strangely, although there are some really nice pics of the front cockpit (including this really cool 360 view  http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/SEAW_tour/SEAW-1.html ) I have yet to find any pics of what the rear compartment of actual service aircraft looked like.  

The standard load for an A-1E in Vietnam was a spare wheel and tire strapped down in the aft cabin, a toolkit and a set of sparkplugs.  The utility ships could have four seats in the back,  two facing aft and two facing forwards, or all four facing aft.or any sort of load that would fit and could be strapped in properly.Utility ships also did target towing duty with a winch and reel slung under the belly in a cool looking fairing.

I may do some masks for a utility ship , there was going to be a decal for that and some other planes but we had to cancel it due to lack of interest.The Navy AD-5 just didn't take off and sell like the Air Force kit did.Anybody that wants a VU-1 Utility ship shoot me a PM , I can get Montex to do them if I get enough guys to cover the costs.

As for the AD-5Q / EA-1F  elint ship I'd love to do it, but it requires en entirely new aft cabin set up , underwing pods, fuselage radomes and decals, all expensive stuff to do and I have to wonder what sales would be like.Might be surprised, as the Guppy is doing well , but I have to be careful not to let my enthusiasm for the subject outrun my bank account!

best, 

paul

Alrighty, more progress today worth sharing :)  

Decals completed on one side, also walkways and aluminum LEs masked and painted. Cowl and cowl flaps taped on for photo still, I'm procrastinating on attaching the front end for some reason. I noticed that the fluoro on the outer wings hasn't come out fluoro at all, rather a flat orange. I'll make it simple and strip/repaint the outer wings completely. 

The insignia are a bit see-through and the demarcation between the gray and red underneath is noticeable. Conveniently there are additional insignia (insignias?) on the decal sheet, enough to double-up on all the stars-n-bars on this ship to kill any see-through effect -thanks for doing that, Paul!

There's are some great photos of Fluoro AD5's over on Cloud9 photography including what I believe is another Sand Point aircraft. Photos are copyrighted so I won't direct post it here, but you can see it at this link. I think I'm going to ignore the aluminum LE of the tail... 

https://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-Photography/DAYGLOW-Pictures-of-US-and-Non/US-Navy-Douglas-A1-Skyraider-D/

And here's where we're at now!

N0gYzNIh.jpg