Fisher AD-5 & AD-5W Guppy Conversions - Fluorescent Misadventure.

seiran01

Update 8/2/18 - work has begun!

Normally I’d wait until I actually start working to write an in progress thread but I’m too excited to wait with this one. Fisher has not started shipping the AD-5W Guppy conversions just yet; decals haven’t arrived to them yet from Cartograf. Nevertheless Paul was kind enough to send the resin of the Guppy conversion my way so that I could get started. 

Initial dry fitting of major parts and the Trumpeter inner wings show near perfect fit. The massive Guppy radome is cast in two pieces to save weight and has “walls” fitting into the oil cooler recess of the trumpy lower wing to aid alignment. I trimmed the back end of these with sprue cutters to get perfect fit.

The AD-5 will go in the fluorescent red scheme from Fisher’s decal sheet, but I will be fully arming it with two Tiny Tim rockets and a bunch of HVARs on the outer pylons. Maybe not technically accurate for the trainer scheme but there are photos of operational aircraft with that loadout and it looks too cool to pass on. Undecided on which Guppy scheme yet... 

This is going to be a fun project!!!

FC853035-5B4D-4BB0-8FEE-F884AAA8FBBC.jpeg

AFB44323-C669-4B10-B6C5-5D22D7B3D998.jpeg

615CA93E-16F1-40F9-8F4E-63F3677BC57F.jpeg

C2C761FF-9922-4CD3-B884-C33C47F796FE.jpeg

09816BD8-518D-4F75-A287-7177BBDE8B4D.jpeg

Im using the AD-4 / A-1D as a base for both.

Interesting conundrum now - there will be two single seat fuselages with cockpits... i’ll bet someone with more insanity and patience than me will put the fuselage to good use in some sort of construction/storage/maintenance type of diorama. 

$150? They're around a hundred at the online retailers, I bought mine from a Chinese seller on Ebay who had them at around $77 shipped.  Did it when they had the 20% off all buy-it-nows so that was a massive win at around $63 shipped each.  The AD-5 conversion is $115, Guppy is $120. 

2 hours ago, seiran01 said:

$150? They're around a hundred at the online retailers, I bought mine from a Chinese seller on Ebay who had them at around $77 shipped.  Did it when they had the 20% off all buy-it-nows so that was a massive win at around $63 shipped each.  The AD-5 conversion is $115, Guppy is $120. 

So 100 for the kit and 120 for just the cockpit conversion... so 220 wow. Fisher is expensive.

4 minutes ago, shark64 said:

So 100 for the kit and 120 for just the cockpit conversion... so 220 wow. Fisher is expensive.

You get an entire new fusalage, pretty much end up using just the donor kit wings

Eye of the beholder I guess... have a look at my review of the AD5 conversion that was published here on LSP this week - you’re getting a massive fully new fuselage to convert the single seater along with  completely detailed cockpit and all of the other items needed to make the multi-seat skyraiders. Resin isn’t cheap and Paul’s quality of work is hard to beat.