Fisher AD-5 & AD-5W Guppy Conversions - Fluorescent Misadventure.

seiran01

Gonna be a lot of weight with that solid resin radome.   Think the kit landing gear will be up to the challenge?  Looking forward to this build, always liked the family version Spad.  

2 hours ago, Simmo.b said:

Of all the resin kits I've built I've had the biggest issues with paint lifting on Fisher kits......clean those parts well!!

I've used the bleach as recommended on my two Fury's without issue. But I use enamels.

Well, soap ain’t going to cut it... Tamiya tape made quick work pulling a chunk of Mr Surfacer 1000 off. 

What options will work well with minimal fumes? I don’t have a garage to work in and not great ventilation in the basement

Its not bleach caustic, but a friend  in the movie prop business HIGHLY recommend Westleys (now Black Magic) "Bleache Wite" (yes its spelled like that) white wall tire cleaner to remove the massivly industrial mold release  agents used in the prop biz.

I tried it on my Fisher September Fury and it worked SO well, I think I've used it on every single resin kit since.

While you probably wouldn't want to get it on your hands for any extended period, the fumes/smell are pretty minimal.

Have read good things about Bleche White for resin cleaning so I’m going to try and find a bottle over the weekend. In the meantime, I’ve started working on the underside of the wing for the trainer. Catapult hook recesses have been filled with CA and sanded smooth, along with the seams of the new gear and oil cooler bits. I had to sand a little off the front end of the pylon to match the fuselage contour. 

Guppy radome also solidly glued with CA; I don’t like to use epoxy when I don’t have to so instead I added additional strips inside to strengthen the join. Again all is in process of being sanded flush. That’s it for tonight!

DB96E6B7-FBD8-44B3-96CA-370FEE9D5297.jpeg