Fisher AD-5 & AD-5W Guppy Conversions - Fluorescent Misadventure.

seiran01

17 hours ago, seiran01 said:

There's are some great photos of Fluoro AD5's over on Cloud9 photography including what I believe is another Sand Point aircraft. Photos are copyrighted so I won't direct post it here, but you can see it at this link. I think I'm going to ignore the aluminum LE of the tail... 

https://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-Photography/DAYGLOW-Pictures-of-US-and-Non/US-Navy-Douglas-A1-Skyraider-D/

Those are some great looking pics.  Amazing how badly the orange faded.   Between that and the typical AD exhaust stains, one can really go to town with the weathering.    Another nice (and colorful) touch was the two AD's shown with the old WW2 vintage drop tank, complete in Gloss Sea Blue.

Edited by John1

The misadventure of MM fluoro red continues, I can't fathom how a single paint can be this poor quality even weeks after it's dried. CA accelerator softened up the paint on forward fuselage when attaching the cowl and let me leave a nice deep thumb print. On the lower edges of the rear fuselage, the paint is getting extremely dirty from regular handling even after thoroughly washing hands.  It's so translucent that simply airbrushing more fluoro on top won't cover it up and a proper white + fluoro repaint of the area will be needed if I can't figure out how to hide that. Even with all that annoyance, the end is in sight and I'm really loving this!

Outer wings have been repainted and decalled, the engine, cowl, inboard pylons and main landing gear attached attached. Outer pylons, tail gear painting, and making the dust covers on the wing folds are up next.  The AMS prop blades are gorgeous but they or the prop hub needs modifying so that they can be attached. Thinking the easier approach on the prop will be to carefully take a drill bit to the Trumpeter hub to enlarge the holes. 

The closed forward cowl flaps do not meet up with the Fisher cowl if glued onto the engine crankcase as instructed - you'll need to do a wee bit of modifying of parts if you plan to do your flaps closed as I have a noticeable gap between the flaps and cowl ring. Too late to fix that now...

Here's how she sits currently, again the outer wings are not glued on. B)

O6ycKiXh.jpg

lz0BnaQh.jpg

LfGWk1uh.jpg