Fisher AD-5 & AD-5W Guppy Conversions - Fluorescent Misadventure.

seiran01

I used the Westley’s for my Belcan F-5A conversion which was greasy looking and it worked perfect. Soaked parts for almost a day then cleaned off. Primed and tried pulling paint with masking tape and it held perfect.

Bleche Wite seems to have worked nicely! Some of the seats will need another soak and gentle scrub in the stuff but mr surfacer 1000 and alclad primer both past the masking tape tests. 

Have started to work on the cockpit floors, paint is a 4:1 mix of Tamiya xf2 (flat white) and xf19 (sky gray), a recommended mix I found to match the FS36495 gray noted in the Fisher instructions. 

“Tables” are not attached yet, the various boxes have been numbered and their locations noted on the floor, oriented in the direction each faces. 

qCoYzvj.jpg

Guest Maxim

Brian's correct, Westleys (now Black Magic) "Bleache Wite" is the best for getting mold release off plastic or anything. We use to use it in the aviation seat shop to restore Martin Baker rubber ejection seat firing handles and it would bring them back to new condition.

A fair bit of progress today on the dumptrucks! Up next are the parts needed to finish the interiors - rudder pedals, control columns and the seats. I will wait to glue in the bulkheads and seats until final assembly.

A tip for those building these aircraft - cut out the flashed-over hole for the engine first and it will helps you ensure the cockpit floors are level as well as give another angle to pole and prod from to get your alignment right. 

oBF8EO6h.jpg

GbJlNGdh.jpg

hPJ3ftXh.jpg

n0hNJx5h.jpg

I haven't had much time this week, but here are the interiors now - levers, control sticks, pedals and instrument panels/coamings are all firmly attached. The blue rear glazing on the AD-5 is also now attached (thinned-down Tamiya clear blue sprayed on the inside). I've gone so far as to start painting the seats but a long way to go before they're ready to glue in. Center wing for the trainer is nearly ready to glue together and attach - just have a bit of painting to do as the wings will be folded on the trainer, extended on the Guppy. 

ckIyCaQh.jpg

fqYu1Ish.jpg

Sb2Z0ouh.jpg

Thanks guys.

Maxim, the canopy is painted from the inside with a few very thin coats of Tamiya clear blue, it's cast in clear.

John - yes must have been pretty toasty if there wasn't good ventilation, if you've ever been around vacuum tubes you'll know how hot even a small number can get. My old tube guitar amp was great for warming up my hands after working outside in the winter!

Having trouble deciding which paint scheme to do on the Guppy, both of the ones Paul has chosen have their merits for an interesting model. Folks reading this who will likely do a Guppy, what scheme would you choose and why?

ad-5w1351882.jpg?th=paper&bg=FFFFFF

135219_cahecbcj.jpg?th=paper&bg=FFFFFF

5 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Also... What is that small thing hanging from the pylon on the grey aircraft?

Maybe some sort of submarine sonar buoy or the sort. I have no clue so just sayin!

SUPERB progress on the kits Mike!

Karim

On 8/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, seiran01 said:

I haven't had much time this week, but here are the interiors now - levers, control sticks, pedals and instrument panels/coamings are all firmly attached. The blue rear glazing on the AD-5 is also now attached (thinned-down Tamiya clear blue sprayed on the inside). I've gone so far as to start painting the seats but a long way to go before they're ready to glue in. Center wing for the trainer is nearly ready to glue together and attach - just have a bit of painting to do as the wings will be folded on the trainer, extended on the Guppy. 

ckIyCaQh.jpg

fqYu1Ish.jpg

Sb2Z0ouh.jpg

Hi

What was your ratio and pressure for spraying clear blue.  ?