F15J vs F15C kit differences

Ted Barrett

Hi Guys,

I have a set of decals coming to do the Oregon ANG 75th Anniversary paint scheme, but my Tamiya F15C kits are buried in a storage locker.

I know where I can pick up a Tamiya F15J kit for a reasonable price.  Is there much difference in what is included in the kit box that would prevent me from using the J kit in place of a C kit?

Ted

The main difference difference in the kits, as in real life, is that the top of the left tail is different.  US F-15s have a large pod on top of the left tail that’s part of the EW system and a slim mass balance on top of the right tail.  Japanese F-15s, like most non US Eagles, have the slim mass balance on top of both tails.  Tamiya molded different tails (not just the top) for both kits and the J kit only has the slim tail.  That’s the only part you need to change.  

In one way, the J kit is a little better in that it comes with the MSIP IP, while the F-15C kit just has the original IP.  The other kit differences are just some additional J specific antenna.

1 hour ago, Shawn M said:

some J's have additional antennae under the inlets as well as some stiffeners.

The J kit has the additional antennas for under the intake, but they are stick on parts, and are simply left off for the F-15C that the OP wants to build.  One item missing for upgraded Js is the strakes on the radome, however a new radome is available from PWMP

GT resin do a very nice set of beautifully defined vents, grilles and antennae including the well detailed larger fin top pod for USAF F-15Cs.

Edited by Chek
speeling