WNW Albatros D.V Spinner..

williamj

This has been bugging me..have to point it out(if it hasn't)   There is an AM resin spinner cap for this kit to correct the WNW's part.not mentioning who makes it.

For those who have purchased it,or are thinking about picking one up..you don't need it..WNW got the diameter and shape right the first time.

Now I feel better.     Cheers,Bill.

kit matches the photo well

GX2xfW.jpg

Edited by williamj

Have to agree with you on this.

Used the WNW spinner on my first Albatros build & will be using same with my current one in work.

It looks fine when completed.

Also, I have the AM spinner & found it to be undersize when matched up with the kit & backplate.

Larry

Everyones mileage will vary. I'll say this: for some the A/M spinner is needed as it is right in front. For those that don't want or think it is needed, the WNW part is fine. I did my Albie with a kit part, but understand a lot of research went into the A/M part.

to each their own.

Nice photo by the way!

Every build I've seen with the kit spinner looks wrong.  It certainly doesn't look like that picture.  For one, the kit spinner it's too narrow and looks like a turtle poking it's head out.  This is one thing that Roden did better.

It is true that there were different Albatros spinners.  But none look like the kit part.

My NSHO.

Gaz

Unfortunately this thread started with the OP trying to de-value somebody's hard work by making a proclamation and supplying a photo from an angle that doesn't show the true scale of the parts being compared.  I'm not the creator of the replacement spinner, but I'm pretty sure I know who is.

But as somebody who has been poring over Albatros fighter pictures for the better part of 40 years, I disagree.  I'm not going to get angry, click on some funny-faced emoticon...  I'm going to use geometry.

First, here is some original artwork from WNW.  It's the same profile most of us have been seeing for years.  Please take special note of the clean transition from the spinner to the cowling parts.

QIt3lu.jpg

Also note the small amount of area of the outside the triangle.

Here is a photo of the genuine article.  Please note the clean transition from the spinner to the cowling.

Albatros%20D.V%20D.4640~17,%20Mariakerke

Here is the kit spinner sitting on my bench.  I couldn't hold the camera perfectly level, so I apologize for the slight lean.  I've also shown the angles.  Note the large amount of area of the kit spinner outside of the triangle.

4RWOdt.jpg

Finally, here is a nice looking WNW Albatros D.V in profile:  Please note the large knuckle in the transition from spinner to cowling.

alb_v_32_got_05.jpg

Trying to find perfect profile shots from historical images is difficult because of perspective.

I don't have any affiliations with anyone selling anything. 

Gaz

Having a lot of experience modelling the type too, I think there are variations in spinners. Not surprising given the hand made nature of the part. There are photos that do show the knuckle and some with gaps around the edge when seen from the front into the cowling. 

What I have not seen, is a switch of spinner shape on the same airframe when the prop was damaged and changed, but then again I wonder if pilots and units preferred a certain propeller brand and stuck to that when they were replaced.

12 hours ago, DrDave said:

I think there are variations in spinners.

One would have to agree based on the 2 photos above.

The spinner mismatch on one and the lack thereof on

the other is obvious.

Very frankly I always considered the WnW part to be far from representative of what was generally put on the tip of the Albie nose. I am not saying they did not reproduce as closely as possible an actual part but having as well checked tons of wartime pictures, their part is far too bulbous in comparison with a very large majority of pictures. This is clear to me. 

Yes there were different spinners...some photos show a flatter in profile spinner that covers the front end with no "knuckle" some are a bit more pointed(as in the kt photo) with the knuckle.

Just trying to point out the kit spinner matches the wnw photo (I put up) admirably.doesn't necessarily have to be replaced.   Not trolling ..just attempting to put a light on it. 

Cheers..

Edited by williamj

As with a great deal of aftermarket parts, it's what the modeler wants. I realize we are at the ragged edge of what is seen as needed/ un-needed, and how much time one wants to put into a build. For my first Albie, the kit part was fine; subsequent builds, I plan to get wooden props, and that may require new spinners.