"Best" 1/32 P-39 ?

Pauldoe

Hi all:

Looking into getting a P-39 in 1/32 - which is the "best," in your opinion? Looking for a D, N or Q....leaning towards the Kitty Hawk, but there's also Special Hobby and Revell.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Pauldoe

Paul,

I've built the Special Hobby D. It has its issues and the instructions are not very clear at times but it builds into a decent model if you take the time on it.

I've yet to be impressed with Kitty Hawk models. I have a couple but never finished them. The moldings seem off, the plastic is soft and not very detailed.

Can't say much about Revell though, historically (45+ years of modeling), I've never been a fan of Revell. There are also now defunct and the molds have been shipped to Revell-Germany.

My $0.02 for whatever it's worth.

-Ro

While I haven't built the Special Hobby kit, I have built (and reviewed) the Kitty Hawk kit, and it's a tough build. The nose panels especially are a challenge, but I have to say I'm pleased with how it turned out:

5jmQbx.jpg

You can check out my build thread for all the gory details:

Note that the Revell kit is a re-boxing of the Special Hobby kit.

Kev

Got it - thanks! 

Ok,  Kevin read your article on your excellent build - looks like if you left out the internals (engine, etc.) the kit would be an ok build? But then, why pay for them :) I would build it closed up anyway....

Edited by Pauldoe

31 minutes ago, Pauldoe said:

Got it - thanks! 

Ok,  Kevin read your article on your excellent build - looks like if you left out the internals (engine, etc.) the kit would be an ok build? But then, why pay for them :) I would build it closed up anyway....

Yeah, I reckon that's the best approach. The main fuselage and wing panels actually fit OK, but the nose is definitely a challenge. Leaving out whatever internals you can would certainly help, and that's what I would do if I were to build another one.

Kev

5 hours ago, Pauldoe said:

Hi all:

Looking into getting a P-39 in 1/32 - which is the "best," in your opinion? Looking for a D, N or Q....leaning towards the Kitty Hawk, but there's also Special Hobby and Revell.

Regards,

Paul

The Revell kit is a reboxing of the Special Hobby version.

30 minutes ago, Pauldoe said:

Both kits are supposed to be short in the tail.

See this post re corrections:

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=81364&sid=e54a8f3c819831be237d7a658cb53d58

7 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

The Revell kit is a reboxing of the Special Hobby version.

You guys do realize both of your statements were already posted right above your own only a couple of hours ago. Sometimes it's helpful to read a thread to get a sense of what has been said by others.

44 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

You guys do realize both of your statements were already posted right above your own only a couple of hours ago. Sometimes it's helpful to read a thread to get a sense of what has been said by others.

Umm...oops?

My Special Hobby kit;

36135720595_d451b92533.jpg

A typical short-run kit, but I found it to be a fun build.

Only addition I used was decals from Zotz and wheels  from Mastercasters.

If you use this boxing;

27185871687_69a1fa5072.jpg

You get colored photo etch, some resin parts (exhausts, 6 and 12 stacks) and a gun sight.

The Revell kit is the same plastic with no extra.

This kit is supposedly about 5mm too short in the fuselage.

I can´t say anything about the KH kit as I have not ever seen any yet.

Cheers!

Stefan :)

Edited by Phantom2