Suggestions?

Anthony in NZ

Hi guys

A question I have pondered for more years than I care to remember is 'where is a decent Tiger Moth?'

I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, but this kit (although covered by the ancient Matchbox offering)  is sorely missing from our market.  To me it would seem a 'no brainer' for a company to do because of the sheer market potential.  Soooo many countries have/had Tigers in civil and military service that the schemes are literally endless.  This would even help open up a market for other small/cottage decal manufacturers to offer unique schemes. 

I reckon you would wear out your tooling before you stopped selling them!

I always felt it a shame you decided not to continue with the T-6 because of Glen doing it with Kittyhawk, but sadly it just has too many shape issues for such a popular subject.  Anyway don't let the Tiger get away, I truly believe the time is right for one.....hell I would even pre-order 2 or 3 straight away.

Anyway just a thought...…..keep up the great work all the same!

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony, I couldn't have said it better; an accurate Tiger Moth is desperately needed and would sell in bucketloads.  I have 5 of the Revell kits but each one has to have the same corrections to dihedral, to the cockpit area, the rudder area and detail on the underside.  I'd cheerfully scrap all of those for an accurate well researched Silver Wings model, and let's face it there are enough good examples to research.

Regarding the T-6/Harvard, pretty much the same applies.  The HK one is OK as a basic canvas but needs lots of correction and addition.  What I'd REALLY love though is an early Harvard, a Mk I.....nobody has produced one of those in our scale.

It's a trainer, and inter-war - two types that don't seem to have the same demand as, say, WWI & WWII types.

Also, it wasn't German.

Wingnut Wings make a gazillion kits of biplanes, so that's competition as well.

Hi Max, Dean & Mike

Dean I see your point, however I think this is where Silver Wings has the market captured already.  People wanting this sort of thing look to Silver Wings to plug those gaps.  I would guarantee they sell more Tiger Moths in their range than a Hawker Demon simply because of the military and civvie users.

Would make a nice compliment to their US counterpart, the Stearman thats already in their range too......

Max...I wonder what Silver Wings themselves think??

Cheers and nice to have your guys feedback

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

I'd settle for a Stearman with the correct shape and cross section to the fuselage!

Steve

Heya Steve, is Silverwings Stearman in the below link a bit off??

http://www.silverwings.pl/stearman-pt-13d-n2s-2.html

I'm curious to hear from Silver Wings about their thoughts on a 1/32 Tiger Moth....but it appears no one is listening????

Helllooooooooooo               :shrug:

Well, I can't speak for their other models, although one or two do look a little off to me. However, I am a Stearman owner so I get to see the shapes of the plane every day if I want to. A real Stearman has a distinct curve to the top of the fuselage which extends from the fire wall to the tail. Silver Wings have removed most of this in their kit so the fuselage looks a bit Banana shaped! In cross section the fuselage is egg shaped with the pointed bit at the top, alas with the model it is nearly round, which make the instrument panels completely the wrong shape as well as other bits. I can't stress how frustrating this is for me, as I want a large Stearman model, but for $200 I expect not to have to make major modifications in the basic shape. Having looked at one in the box, I can say that it is a beautifully produced and packaged kit, and I was tempted. If I could find one for $150 I would seriously consider it. for many of these planes at 1/32 Silver Wings are the only game in town though. Maybe Revell will upscale their 1/48 one, which is rather good.

As for the Tiger, I agree that the old Matchbox/Revell one is a bit old now and that someone needs to produce an up to date one. When I asked Silver Wings about a Continental engined Stearman I got a very clear and equivocal NO! So I doubt they will be all that interested. They also seem to be moving into the realm of monoplane fighters.

Steve

Anthony,

I really think that there is quite a large market for inter and post war trainers produced in this or larger scales. Particularly those that had a civilian life as well. Silver Wings in not the company to do this though, because the cost of the models would be too much and the notion that the kits were resin would put many potential purchasers off as well (It even puts me off!).

We need an injection molded line, just think of it.........Avro Tutor, Avro Cadet, N4N, Srearman, Moths of all sorts, Austers, Stampes, Jungmans, Ryans, and loads from more far flung countries as well.

Almost a business model?

Steve

Auster photos?

4 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

Anthony,

I really think that there is quite a large market for inter and post war trainers produced in this or larger scales. Particularly those that had a civilian life as well. Silver Wings in not the company to do this though, because the cost of the models would be too much and the notion that the kits were resin would put many potential purchasers off as well (It even puts me off!).

We need an injection molded line, just think of it.........Avro Tutor, Avro Cadet, N4N, Srearman, Moths of all sorts, Austers, Stampes, Jungmans, Ryans, and loads from more far flung countries as well.

Almost a business model?

Steve

Auster photos?

I almost agree with you; the "almost" is because there's no Avro 504N in your list :) (and a J/K would be good too).  But ICM has released a Bu 131D with a B to come, so whilst it's very slim, "hope there is, young Jedi."

Certainly +1 for the Tutor, Cadet, Stearman, Moths and Austers, although for the latter I expect a Beagle Husky would be too much to hope for.

Hi Mike,

Yes I thought about an Avro504K and N afterwards and wondered about WNW? Not for the N of course. AM maybe. I knew about the Jungman, but put it in anyway. As for the Beagle, I thought that was basically an Auster on steroids? So if you got one you, could convert to the other?

It's a wish list so if anyone else wants to add a plane?

Steve