DeanKB

Not Enjoying the Hobby

For the last few months, I've been doing next to no modelling. I've got plenty of time on my hands, but I find myself doing other things - lots of reading, walking the dogs, cycling, spot of DIY, gardening even, and I hate gardening!

As time goes on, I'm drawn less and less to the workbench. In fact, I'm finding excuses to not go do a bit of modelling. I'm finding, more & more, that I don't miss it.

I find it's become a bit of a piece of work, rather than enjoyment. It's no longer something I look forward to. It's a commitment of sorts that I'm trying to avoid. I've bought all these model kits, paint, glue, AM, etc, and it all needs "seeing to".

I'm finding the exactness, the correctness, the arguments over shapes, colours, etc tiring. I've been suffering from fibromyalgia for a few years, and I think this has heavily influenced how I feel.

I'll see how things pan out over the next few months.

Any thoughts?

Any advice, of any type, is appreciated. 

I know what you mean to some extent.  When the weather was comfortable rather than Hellish hot, I was far happier pootling in the garden and doing odd jobs for the Mrs.

All I can ever recommend to you inveterate kit bashers is , "Make something"  Have a small bash at scratchbuilding. Start with a drawing (thousands on the 'net) transfer to a suitable material and start filing, chiseling, sawing, whatever it takes. There are still a lot of good books on making it yourself. The satisfaction is immense, the cost is bugger all and the bragging rights unimpeachable!

Good luck.

Martin

I would suggest slapping a kit together with as little extra work as possible.   Forget trying to reach a certain standard or compete in a show. 

Do it only when you want to do it and don't let yourself feel that you "must" do it.

Obligation, even self-created obligation will dampen anything.

Best of luck!

Gaz

Sometimes taking a break is good - it's not supposed to be a job, it's a hobby, one you can walk away from until you regain some mojo.

As to the tedium of exactness, correctness, shape and color arguments, etc., you don't mention if that is self-imposed or not. If it's pressure to satisfy the crowd, ignore it and do what you want. If it's your inner demons, how about picking a kit you don't have a ton of affinity for and do a "what-if" build. You know, what if the Union Pacific Railroad bought T-33s? Or the NHRA allowed John Force to dragrace an F-104? A few years ago I did an Me-262 in USAF Thunderbirds livery and thoroughly enjoyed it, partly for the challenge and partly for not having to adhere to RLM colors.

Cheers,

Mark

Perhaps having such a large stash might be part of the problem - and mine is much like yours - that it becomes a weight dragging you down, I watched a tv series recently via streaming, became more like work than pleasure, I binned it off eventually. All these kits to build, which in your minds eye you already have, can distract when you do, maybe just pick a simple model and do it pretty much oob..?

Shut off the damned internet and go back to modeling as you probably did as a kid.

Find something you like, and build it.  Don't listen to the people telling you what minor detail is wrong or that the color you are using is slightly "off".  

If you only build 1/32 aircraft, build something else.  Diversity is the spice of life.

One factor maybe as you said to much time on your hands, take the summer off, enjoy the weather etc etc. Come the winter step back  to the bench. Totally agree with shutting down the peer pressure. I remember my first trip to Telford. I was really excited  to buy the SH Tempest V. Walking back to the car after the show with multiple bags, a guy walking beside me, spots the Tempest V and the starts on this diatribe on what’s wrong with it. In my best Anglo Saxon vocabulary told him to #######%-£%+. 

Also yes probably a bit of stash anxiety to. 

While we are under the "triple-digit-heat-wave", I am at a "pause-in-building" as well, since like Gaz I prefer to do some of my finishing work outdoors, as well as preferring to vent any toxic fumes out of the house while drawing fresh air in if the weather is too nasty to allow outdoors work.

Since getting back into the hobby a few years ago, I discovered the internet-driven photographic side (as in "show us your stuff"), so recently I have contented myself to further persuing and advancing my skills in the obvious secondary hobby that is also supported by this website, known as "photography".;)

Also last year I discovered that I had acquired an afib heart disorder, and the damn drugs make me want to sleep all the time plus chronic low blood pressure and "irregularity"...ugh!:(

So while I am coping with adjusting by adjusting the prescribed over-medication (I am changing physicians), I content myself to working on taking nice pictures of the beautiful scenery we have here in the early morning cool of the day.

Meantime, I am content to buy something now and then if it suits me, and enjoy sharing my thoughts and experience in the very nice scale modelling community here. 

And so far nobody is "beating up" on me to build anything new before I feel like it, so until I do I might shoot some more pictures and share a few here as well.

That's it. You're done with the hobby.  Burned out. Kaput! 

Ill send you my address so you can ship me your remaining stash!  

All seriousness, just step away for a while. Tell yourself you are not allowed to do anything related with kits.   Give it 6 months or more if need be.  

I went through it as well. 

I have always done this lark for a living until retirement as well as for a hobby. That's why I have got into the habit of doing model aircraft and model cars/scenery in Winter and model boats/aircraft in Summer. This heat has me indoors much more than it normally would, so I getting back to a bit of static modelling but this is, I hope, an abberation.

Maybe you need to vary the kind of modelmaking you do, or just stop. Find an alternative hobby.

OR TEACH YOURSELF how to make stuff from scratch. (I keep saying).

Martin

A number of years ago I got a great deal of pleasure making a couple of 1/5 scale Adirondack chairs from sheet plastic. Had a set of plans, scaled them down and went to it. Didn't take long, yet was very satisfying - presented them to a newlywed couple who really got a kick out them.  No airplanes, war machines, etc, just a simple set of small chairs, who woulda thunk it?

HTH,

D.B.

I'm exactly the same at the moment, I last finished a kit 6 weeks ago and I've also got no desire to make any of my 7 kits in the stash. Currently I just don't to have the time yet nothing has really changed although I find myself sitting with the Chief executive watching the regular tv shows. I'm not too worried as mentioned above when the summer has finished I will return to the bench.

Steve.