revell F-4G wild weasel

Pat McKee

Hi Pat,

GT Resin item in stock at Sprue brothers are:

• 32004 Intakes with correct splitter plates
  • 32007 Exhausts,
  • 32055  F-4G Nose correction, Fin cap and all of the Antennas Revell chose not to include in their kit
  • 32056 Belly Strap all of the G's had the belly strap.

I am revising the cockpit sets for the F-4G to provide for easier casting and eliminating the large casting block on the bottom that everyone, (including me). hates to remove.   Look for a revised cockpit set and/or Super Set this fall after the NATS.

hope this helps, and welcome to the site.

Gary

Again thanks for the assistance, while I'm waiting for some Phantom bits I've made a start on a Revell ME262B night fighter B1/U1 kit seems good ordered a couple of extras for it, detail stuff from Eduard and I'm doing some scratch building on it. I've opened up a hatch on the starboard side rear and fitted out the port side with some made up bits, (sorry not accurate, but just wanted to try my hand at it) plus if its crap you won't see much of it, I'll also be making the new hatch cover out of a drinks tin to fit over the hole I've made! I've gone and got some lead wire and copper wire and I've gone to town on the back of the instrument panel with connections. plus some of the other flat panels, where I'm adding pipes and cables. My intention is to go to town on the engines with scratch built bits to make them more realistic.

The problem I've got is I'm like a drug addict I'm scouring Ebay and other sites for kits, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment and I'm hoovering up kits and bits like no body business, ScottsGT right I've got the bug and my missus thinks I've gone nuts!

The thing is there is so much stuff out there, yes I know there rubbish there, but in amongst them must be the odd golden nugget.

I've managed to get a brand new 1/32 Revell Corsair for less than a £10.00 and the money Ive saved I'm buying Aires and Eduard stuff to tweak it.

As another discussion point, do you guys think its better to get an older kit and fit it out or pay top dollar for a Trumpeter or Tamiya kit and just build them?I know you get what you pay for sometimes with some of the top price stuff re fit, but is the price difference justified?

Thanks for all the hints and tips.

1 hour ago, Pat McKee said:

The problem I've got is I'm like a drug addict I'm scouring Ebay and other sites for kits, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment and I'm hoovering up kits and bits like no body business, ScottsGT right I've got the bug and my missus thinks I've gone nuts!

As another discussion point, do you guys think its better to get an older kit and fit it out or pay top dollar for a Trumpeter or Tamiya kit and just build them?I know you get what you pay for sometimes with some of the top price stuff re fit, but is the price difference justified?

Thanks for all the hints and tips.

:yahoo:  Glad I've got company!!  You'll soon realize you won't live long enough to build all you have in the stash!

As far as your second point, I have recently come to the conclusion that with my limited time when I manage to get to my workshop in the basement, I would prefer to assemble kits that don't require lots of time to make parts fit correctly and that require lots of putty to apply and sand back down when dry. 

I weigh my time along with what aftermarket it would take to give me the build I want.  Ex:  The Corsair you just bought. I had that kit, gave it away and bought the Tamiya.  No way I wanted to spend the time it would have taken to cut out all the flaps, invest in aftermarket flaps and engine details or a new engine kit.   My build time is very valuable to me and I sometimes put a high price on it to myself in justifying a nicer kit.

But those kits do have their place in time.  No better way to gain skills than making parts fit!

• 2 weeks later...

The expensive kits are more of a joy and the sheer expense makes you take your time for better results. And you can still go wild buying extras for them.

With some old kits you feel like you're trying to fix up a crappy old shed, spending lots of time and money when you know you'd be better off tearing it down and putting up a brand new one. 

But the nostalgia factor can be fun, revisiting kits built as a child or tweeny. 

I'm not much interested in the Vought F4U Corsair as a subject, but the sheer quality of the Tamiya kit makes me want one, and a Spitfire XVIe. It's a pity Tamiya's stopped making new subjects for that range for a few years now, but there's always Wing nut Wings Great War era stuff - so tempting if you can conquer that rigging. 

The other thing is do you want more immediate gratification or a very long, complex project? I look at the Tamiya Mosquito in the stash, and at the forthcomng Hong Kong Models Lancaster, examples of almost perfect plastic engineering, and realise these are year-long projects requiring considerable patience and staying power.

Best of luck and enjoy your hobby.

Tony

As I suspected very good advice from very good people. I thought I would cut my teeth on a couple of Revell kits before stumping up the money for one of the Tamiya kits. The problem I've got it is that there are so many kits out there, I know so of them are complete dogs and before I consider buying, I'm trawling through the discussion forums to see which ones to avoid. 

I've managed to get a couple of cheap kits off Ebay with the intention of learning the ropes again and honing my skills before stepping up the ladder to the good stuff and joining the likes Tony T and others. What do they say you need to crawl, walk and the then run, well I'm trying to walk very quickly, I just hope I don't fall over, if I do I know I can look to you guys for help to get me back on my feet

Thanks  

My thinking may be off... It often is. But I’m encouraging young builders/ newer builders by offering them the better kits in my stash (that I’m no longer interested in) such as Tamiya and Hasegawa kits (1/48 of course)... my thinking being let them experience a nicely detailed well fitting kit before tackling a legacy kit.

I love tackling those old kits now and massaging them into a respectable representation of their prototype but I’ve got almost 30 years of modelling under my belt, my early efforts (with older kits) mostly ended up resembling a dogs breakfast