Removable Panels

Has anyone got any tips on making panels removable? I’ve never built the newer Tamiya kits that seem to include magnets.

Is this the way to go, and if so what sizes or types would be large enough?

Thanks

Ryan

Even on the Tamiya kit the fit of of the removable panels is very good, but takes some work to make them appear seamless.  The nose panels with the magnets work pretty well actually.  

I had far less success with the Kitty Hawk P-39 and all of those open panels - many just did not fit the opening they were intended for so closing them up led to an ill-fitting kit.

If you are talking about opening up your own panels then best of luck.  Tamiya supplies small bits of metal for the magnets to attract to keep the panels in place so it is as much about the metal on the panel as the magnets to hold the panels in place.

Good luck!

Chris

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Ahh so the magnet is in the frame or fuselage and the metal is in the panel?

Mostly, yes.  It think for the intake under the nose the magnet is in the intake itself since that is a fairly big piece and easy to hide the magnet. 

This build thread shows a few of the magnet locations, but not the ones for the nose.  Hope it helps:  https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/p51tamiya/build.htm

Chris

Very helpful, thanks.

I wonder how one is to remove the panel once magnetically stuck on the model...I'm picturing a small screw driver jammed in the panel line in horror.

It's a real question though, will the sticky side of a piece of tape pull these panels off?

I use a fingernail actually, being careful not to damage the decals since the nose of my bird is covered in checkers.  The nose pieces are amazingly thin and bend quite easily.

Here is the back side of one piece of the Tamiya P-51 nose. You can see the small bit of metal attached. to the left side of the photo you can see the tab that  slips under a piece behind the spinner 

po1CeYwbj

The corresponding magnet is in the engine mount frame, on the inside so you can't see it when the panels are removed.

Mk89q3.jpg

Pictures are from the thread showing putting the decals down (having to use Zotz since the EagleCal nose checkers were not a good fit).  You can see the fit is not automatic, the tabs fit behind the part behind the spinner.  Once all buttoned up, the panels are aligned well on the Tamiya kit.

tFd46Z.jpg

lWMRKN.jpg