Kits available for a quick diorama build?...

GuildAero

Hi all, 

I have been asked to consider a model for a display of three (at least) Spitfires being built on the production line.  I suggested 3 scales with 1/32nd in front, 1/48th behind and 1/72nd at the back. It saves some space on what was originally planned and makes a more interesting display.

What I know nowt about is which kits are available in which scales.  I have been asked to think in terms of Mk V, but at least the front 2 scales need to have detailed engines on show.

Figures needed too in all three scales, which will need to be adapted obviously and any staging , tools etc. which might be available to save me time and money as the budget, as ever is tight.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

The only 1/32 Spitfire V with an engine is the Hobby Boss kit, which cutting to the chase I just wouldn't... how's this for an idea - a Tamiya VIII, IX, or XVI, followed by a 1/48 Spitfire V, with a 1/72 Spitfire I at the other end?

Just take a look at Hannants to see what's available engine-wise, gun bays etc., and figures.

Hi Kagemusha,

I think we've settled on a Mk 5 for some corporate reason. As it's meant to be the production line, all kites have to be the same Mk.  I thought all 32nd scale kits will have had an engine.  I won't pay a hundred quid for a plastic kit, even if it is someone else's money and that's what Tamiya want for their stuff, so that's out.  Since this will be 'planes without any wings, is a Revell so bad?  Or whoever does an engine OTHER than moneybags san?

I see an engine for a 1/72nd kit costs more than the kit too!  

Is there a decent 48th Mk V that has an engine?

Martin

I bet for what I think you are doing, the Hobby Boss kit would work in 1/32nd. There are detail problems, and some shape issues, but it looks like a Spitfire when done. It is an early Spit V, though, so take that into account (early armored windscreen). In 1/48th the Airfix Spitfires I think are the best? Don't know about engine, though, and I have no clue in 1/72. 

No engine on any of the common 1/48 Spitfire V's. The ICM and Eduard VIII and IX's are the common Spitfires with an engine option (Aftermarket but drop-in from Eduard in the case of their kit). Airfix I or Vb is best for an early V, although the Tamiya is a nice build.

For 1/72 early V, I'd just get the Airfix I/II, it can build into a Va, and if you aren't doing wings mounted that's interchangeable with an early Vb.The Sword is nicer, but rare & pricey and not really any better for this use.

Thanks, chaps.  Does the Hobbyboss have an engine?  And can the ICM be had easily?

I'm also considering a 24th, 32nd, 48th combo, to ensure engines, using a cheap 24th kit off ebay.

Cheers,

Martin

The Hobbyboss 32nd kit is a nice kit as a set of plastic parts goes,  but is truly dreadful in shape and accuracy. I have seen worse, but not often. Look at the cross section of the entire rear fuselage for example, it is ovoid, where the real thing has noticeable flat sides running aft of the canopy.  I could go on..... If you don't want to spend money, go with the Revell or Hasegawa kits, which between them offer a I, II, V, VI, IX....

Edited by wunwinglow

Tim, wouldn't the Hasegawa be a bit pricey?  A Revell was what I'd intended for the 32nd kit, but I need engines.  Do you think people would really notice the curvature of the Hobbyboss fuse.?

RLWP, thanks for that picture. I have a shot to work to which has the earlier Mk Vs in it and not so dense a dispersal of aircraft, but the dollies on which they sit and the bench details are useful as I will have to scratchbuild them with a selection of tools, presumably.

I think we will have standardise on 24th, 32nd, and 48th.  So that means we need a definite engine equipped 32nd and a 48th or suitably cheap s/h  ones that allow expense on an a/m resin Merlin.

Cheers,

Martin

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I wouldn't give the Hobbyboss kit house room. I did once, but gave it away soon after! 

Your call though. It does have a mess of parts for an engine... 

I just saw the prices for a Brassin engine kit!!  Buying a Hobbyboss just for its engine would be MUCH cheaper and may be the way to go so I can use a Revell fuselage with the Hobby boss engine. OK, the Brassin stuff IS superb, but then I knew it would be, it's Czech!  But I could not justify that cost for a mere detail.

I'll accept your view of the Hobbyboss model, Tim.  Thanks,

Martin

3 hours ago, GuildAero said:

RLWP, thanks for that picture. I have a shot to work to which has the earlier Mk Vs in it and not so dense a dispersal of aircraft, but the dollies on which they sit and the bench details are useful as I will have to scratchbuild them with a selection of tools, presumably.

There are an awful lot of aeroplanes in that picture and not one engine

Richard

Trouble is, in the picture I have been sent there are fewer aircraft and all WITH engines, but engines on show. One has the top cover on but no side covers, so they are all essentially on show.  And Mk Vs.

Martin

2 hours ago, GuildAero said:

Trouble is, in the picture I have been sent there are fewer aircraft and all WITH engines, but engines on show. One has the top cover on but no side covers, so they are all essentially on show.  And Mk Vs.

Martin

I suspect that is one of the Getty images.

5969f7961c809833367597790708fb29.jpg

Vickers in Southampton

Richard