Spitfire: The documentary

Shoggz

Anyone else get to see this tonight on its ‘one day only’ cinema release?

I did - in a packed screening at Cineworld Rugby.

It was an interesting film. As much emphasis was placed on the people as the machines. Some brilliant and poignant interviews with Battle of Britain veterans.. made even more so given we’ve lost a couple of them since they were filmed - with Tom Neill scant days ago. :(

There were some breathtaking air to air sequences directed by John Dibbs - no stranger to filming warbirds.

My favourite moment was when they reunited 101 year old former lady ATA pilot Mary Ellis with a Mark VIII she had actually flown in 1944 - quite moving.

Hopefully the film will get a worldwide release so all can see it.

Saw it last night in Bristol.

I'd agree with Shoggz above, really excellent documentary and very moving in parts. 

The closing aerobatic sequence was beautifully filmed.

The documentary stitches original film, parts of 'the first of the few' and modern footage but has no CGI (for me thats a good thing). The film does use various marks of surviving Spitfires to tell the story throughout the second world war.

By far the best film I've seen at a cinema in a long while.

It will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray in September (pre-order placed 5 minutes after getting home from the cinema).

Edited by Adrian

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It’s not even listed on Amazon in the US.  I may have to pre-order from the UK and have my tech nerd sister in law help me hack my DVD player.

The problem besides the region coding is that the UK uses PAL as a signal format and North America uses NTSC. They're very different and not compatible at all.  

You might be able to get it to play on a laptop and get software to convert the format for output. I recall that on Mac laptops you can switch the format between the two. 

Carl

Saw it last night in Islington  - loved it. Shoggz got it right, beautiful air to air photography and some very moving moments. Seeing the very recently departed Tom Neil telling of his first flight into Malta as a 20 year old really got me choked up.

I’m certain it will be available at some point for the US and wider markets, they’d be daft not to. 

Torben

Edited by TorbenD