AM/Revell 1/48 SB2C-4E Helldiver

HobbyZoneUSA

Love the paint job.  Most excellent.  I've always preferred the gray and white scheme over the blue.  I would love to do one of these in 1/32. but what's available is too expensive for me.

Now you've got me recalling and reminiscing back to the early 1950's when I was a kid.  Cabiniss NAS in Corpus Christi, Texas was having open house during armed forces day.  The only aircraft on display that I recall was a B-29, a T-33, and some Hellcats and Avengers.  Those 2 were in dark very glossy sea blue.  But that wasn't all.  Off to the side and off the main stream were a large group of Helldivers with there wing folded parked and in storage.  There must have been 20 or 30 of them.  I remember them being very heavily weathered.  I got on point and made a B line towards them with my Brownie box camera to take some pictures, but got stopped short by the military police.  They said that it was a restricted area, and no picture taking was allowed.  Not a happy ending for my story. lol

9 hours ago, Patrick HMD said:

Now you've got me recalling and reminiscing back to the early 1950's when I was a kid.  Cabiniss NAS in Corpus Christi, Texas was having open house during armed forces day.  The only aircraft on display that I recall was a B-29, a T-33, and some Hellcats and Avengers.  Those 2 were in dark very glossy sea blue.  But that wasn't all.  Off to the side and off the main stream were a large group of Helldivers with there wing folded parked and in storage.  There must have been 20 or 30 of them.  I remember them being very heavily weathered.  I got on point and made a B line towards them with my Brownie box camera to take some pictures, but got stopped short by the military police.  They said that it was a restricted area, and no picture taking was allowed.  Not a happy ending for my story. lol

I had the priviledge to attend the airshow at NAS Point Mugu in 1969 while I was still in high school. On display in a hangar was a seeker head from an AIM-9B that was tracking heat going by, primarily folks smoking cigarettes. That was fascinating to see. Out on the flightline was a fantastic array of Navy aircraft, and they didn't limit the show in the air either. The gloss black VX-4 F-4J with the Playboy bunny on the tail made some impressive passes in front of the crowd including one at .999 Mach (which he had built up speed over the water and came over half-covered in condensed shock cloud). An A-4 zoomed in on the deck, pitched up into vertical, released a shape, then zoomed away. The shape dropped to the deck with a simulated nuclear blast. That was followed by a low-level bomb run by other aircraft. Off shore, an S-2 Tracker dropped a parachute flare, and when he was clear, an F-8 Crusader zoomed in and fired an AIM-9 at the flare. While the announcer had everyone looking left, we spotted a lone U-2 hugging the deck coming from the right, and when he got to show center, pushed the throttle to MIL and went vertical. Of course the show concluded with the Blue Angels. They don't do airshows like that any more...

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA