1/32 REVELL HAWKER TYPHOON

Tolga ULGUR

The Revell kit is very old and basic, it can be enhanced with parts from MDC and modelling skills (re scribing), if by Paragon parts you mean the bubble canopy conversion you are probably better off buying the MDC resin kit. I've built both as I wanted a car door and a bubble top in my collection.

Both are challenging in different ways but they are worth building, I would still be prepared to buy the rumoured SH kit though.

My Revell kit was built in the 90's and rebuilt in the early noughties and I have a soft spot for it.

Here is the build thread for the MDC Typhoon it also contains some photos of my old Revell effort, I cannot find the LSP build thread, there is one somewhere so it's the Britmodeller version..

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950125-mdc-hawker-typhoon/

And here is the finished article, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972035-mdc-hawker-typhoon-finished-at-last/

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

I've done this one a couple of times, it's a good shape but the one thing I didn't like is the big mould line through the fuselage, apparently they planned to do a bubble top version and the mould was going to have two optional inserts, that never happened but we are left with this joint line amongst the rivet and panel lines which shows up quite badly.

Graham

Thanks for your replies.

Seems that there are a lot of corrections and works to built this old kit.

I am thinking on two options:

-Waiting for the possible future release of Special Hobby.Hope that this is not a rumour.

-More research and to be interested in Airfix 1/24 kit. But this is pretty big

9 hours ago, dennismcc said:

The Revell kit is very old and basic, it can be enhanced with parts from MDC and modelling skills (re scribing), if by Paragon parts you mean the bubble canopy conversion you are probably better off buying the MDC resin kit. I've built both as I wanted a car door and a bubble top in my collection.

Both are challenging in different ways but they are worth building, I would still be prepared to buy the rumoured SH kit though.

My Revell kit was built in the 90's and rebuilt in the early noughties and I have a soft spot for it.

Here is the build thread for the MDC Typhoon it also contains some photos of my old Revell effort, I cannot find the LSP build thread, there is one somewhere so it's the Britmodeller version..

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950125-mdc-hawker-typhoon/

And here is the finished article, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972035-mdc-hawker-typhoon-finished-at-last/

Cheers

Dennis

I have the same MDC kit. Your built is very nice and need of effort indeed

Thanks for the link

1 hour ago, Bob MDC said:

The wings are the worst area we started out to do an accurate conversion and after starting the easier option was a full kit.

We can supply the wings separately.

Bob

So, your wings suitable for Revell s kit.?

This will solve wheel well area problem

Thanks for the information Bob

This is one of my builds eons ago when there was only the paragon set. l have another one in the stash l may build some day but now we have MDC parts, an engine for the special hobby Tempest, seat belts etc. Montex has a canopy mask for the car door. There was someone else making stuff for this but they seem to have disappeared. Anyways today this is the route l would take if l decide to do another. If special hobby comes out with one you are assured there will be aftermarket for it too

Hacker

15 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

Hello gentlemen

What do you think about very old Revell 1/32 Hawker Thypoon Car door.

Is it buildable with Paragon set ?

Or Have I to wait for the future Special Hobbys product if it is true.

Thanks

ThanksRevell_TYPHOON_85-4663.jpg

My immediate reaction, if it is of any value to you, is to forget about that old dog of a kit and do the new Airfix 1/24 kit instead, if you are into the Hawker Typhoon!

I have not built either kit, but I have watched some detailed build videos of the Airfix 1/24 offering on Youtube; it looks like a pretty solid kit with some good detail!  

Yes it is quite large but it should make an impressive display, and it's not enormously bigger than a 1/32 kit anyway.

Lately, my attitude has been that there is just way too much interesting, new, and good stuff coming out in the world of modeling to bother with old kits with issues, but that's just my approach.

I'd enjoy watching a build thread of either of these kits if you decide to do one!

It's not a bad kit and can be made up into a nice model.  One other area not mentioned above is the propeller which has blades that are far too wide.  Here's some pics of mine which I made about 25 years ago in the pre-internet age.

AZGU7B.jpg

PX22oS.jpg

JkClcS.jpg

My feeling is that if you're prepared to do some research and add in extra detail, as well as correct a few issues, this would build into a fine model.  As for mine, I won't be rebuilding it as I have the Airfix Typhoon and I may use the engine from this in the Tempest I have in my stash.

Good luck with your project, if you decide to start it.  I hope you'll show us the build.

Cheers,

Michael