black hawk from kitty hawk any news?

mark31

Unfortunately, it will probably be similar to their other helos.   Covered with thousands to tiny holes instead of correct rivets, overdone surface details (strengthening plates, etc) that scale out to being the same as 1" armor plate, etc.   Nowhere near the quality we'd expect from Tamiya or the other leading manufactures but given that no one else seems interested in large scale helos, it's better than nothing I suppose.  

1 hour ago, John Irwin said:

Unfortunately, it will probably be similar to their other helos.   Covered with thousands to tiny holes instead of correct rivets, overdone surface details (strengthening plates, etc) that scale out to being the same as 1" armor plate, etc.   Nowhere near the quality we'd expect from Tamiya or the other leading manufactures but given that no one else seems interested in large scale helos, it's better than nothing I suppose.  

Maybe just wait and see,about the rivets that will be holes but it wil be better than what we have right now

Mark

3 minutes ago, mark31 said:

Maybe just wait and see,about the rivets that will be holes but it wil be better than what we have right now

Mark

That bar is set pretty low so it won't take a great deal of effort to meet that requirement.   We'll see Mark....

In the mean time, if you are interested, here is what it takes to bring their current Littlebird up to acceptable standards. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304310-kitty-hawk-ah-6jm-replacing-rivets-finished/

Multiply that by a thousand to cover an H-60 in those rivets.  

Everyone has a different definition of “acceptable”.  Some get upset about the lack of raised rivets, some don’t.  Models are full of external detail inaccuracies:  recessed holes substituting for flush screws or rivets, recessed panel lines that would be too large if scaled up, too shallow or too thick detail, fastener detail completely missing, etc.  If everyone required absolute detail, nothing would ever get built, so most of us just build to the level of detail we want, and move on.

I think we can than all of the people who want to use washes on everything partially for the preeminence for recessed detail, because the washes pop out the detail, which looks artistic, but not particularly realistic in many cases.  Manufacturers probably believe it’s what the majority of people want, and they may be right.  There’s also the issue of replacing sanded away detail, which is easier to do with a recessed line or hole than finding or making rivets the exact size of the other ones all over the kit.

Bottom line, the KH kits are going to be better than the Academy kits, and people will probably buy them because of that.  Adding real rivet detail likely scores poor on the cost benefit ratio, since it probably won’t increase sales that much.  My two cents.

4 hours ago, John Irwin said:

As a guy who primarily makes armor, I find the lack of quality aircraft kits to be quite interesting.

There are quite a few very high quality armor kit makers these days, but I have had trouble finding the same with aircraft kits.  

Tamiya is great for the few kits they make; Hasegawa is OK at best, loves to re-box old kits, and has few available at any one moment in time.  Zoukei Mura looks interesting but makes a handful of somewhat offbeat subjects, and their quality seems very suspect; lots of detail but lots of problems in build threads I see with their kits.  And what are they doing with their fictional internal structural components!?

A lot of the rest leave something to be desired. 

A big part of the problem is that, for some reason, Dragon doesn't seem interested in making airplane models.  They have their token Bf-109E kits and the Bf-110 stuff.

If they launched an all-out attack on the 1/32 WWII aircraft market as they have done with 1/35 German armor, the model aircraft landscape would change and improve dramatically.

Just seems like there are a lot of crappy aircraft kit manufacturers out there, but few good ones. 

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

As a guy who primarily makes armor, I find the lack of quality aircraft kits to be quite interesting.

There are quite a few very high quality armor kit makers these days, but I have had trouble finding the same with aircraft kits.  

Tamiya is great for the few kits they make; Hasegawa is OK at best, loves to re-box old kits, and has few available at any one moment in time.  Zoukei Mura looks interesting but makes a handful of somewhat offbeat subjects, and their quality seems very suspect; lots of detail but lots of problems in build threads I see with their kits.  And what are they doing with their fictional internal structural components!?

A lot of the rest leave something to be desired. 

A big part of the problem is that, for some reason, Dragon doesn't seem interested in making airplane models.  They have their token Bf-109E kits and the Bf-110 stuff.

If they launched an all-out attack on the 1/32 WWII aircraft market as they have done with 1/35 German armor, the model aircraft landscape would change and improve dramatically.

Just seems like there are a lot of crappy aircraft kit manufacturers out there, but few good ones. 

Great point and 100% dead on.  In 32nd scale, Tamiya and Wingnuts set the standard with pretty much as close to perfect as you can get, out of the box.   They are accurate representations of the real thing.   If the real thing had a raised rivets, their kits reflect that.  They typically don't make mistakes, they don't come up with "features" that allow the artists to make their models "pop", they typically don't cut corners on accuracy to save money.  

These days, we've got those two and probably ZM in third. KH, Kinetic, Roden, Trumpy, etc aren't even in the running as far as overall quality goes.   They still deserve credit for offering up kits that no one else wants to release and in the case of KH, at least making an effort to reach out to subject matter experts (for their helos) but they seem to have made it clear that they really have no interest in getting anywhere close to the level of a Tamiya or Winguts.  To bad but at the end of the day, you follow your business model.    I still would love to see what Tamiya could do with a large scale Blackhawk but that just isn't in the cards, so we have to settle for the likes of Kitty Hawk.  

The worst part is this isn't strictly related to helos.   It applies across the board.  Tamiya is good for, at best, 1 large scale aircraft kit a year and that it often a derivative of an existing kit.  WNW might beat them in releases, but if you aren't a WW1 fan, it doesn't matter.   That's pretty much it for the "elite" manufacturers.   It's truly unfortunate that we can't get more large scale manufacturers to up their quality level, but again - they have a business plan and at the end of the day, the most important priority is to be profitable.   

Okay, i'm just playing the "innocent" here, ....no really i am, but what the heck is wrong with the MRC offering of the blackhawk.

Heard something about the nose shape being "off"??

And all of a sudden a new blackhawk should be a world apart?? (no offence KH...)

Jack.

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

Okay, i'm just playing the "innocent" here, ....no really i am, but what the heck is wrong with the MRC offering of the blackhawk.

Heard something about the nose shape being "off"??

And all of a sudden a new blackhawk should be a world apart?? (no offence KH...)

Jack.

The Academy/MRC kits generally aren’t that well detailed for kits of their size.  The interior detail is pretty basic, and the exterior is missing antennas, reenforcement plates, dispensers, and the exterior is unrealistically smooth except for some panel lines.  The rotor head is pretty simplified, as is the engine section in the open panel, and if you want to close up the open engine panel, the fit is poor.  The window gun M60s are pretty poor and outdated.  Usually you have to add a lot to the Academy kits in the form of Cobra Company and Eduard sets to get an acceptable level of detail IMHO.

We found some things that needed to be changed so it could be more accurate. Because of that, it's release date was pushed back till October.

As for me, recessed or raised rivets makes no difference to me, but I do like the rivet decals that were used on that Little Bird,  I'll be using some on my MH-60L when it does come out. 

As far as the model, bad or good--it will Still be the best H-60 model out there!!!

Just wait, patience will be rewarded. Just remember to thank Floyd Werner and his hawk research team!

43434069911_3c1ed99460_c.jpg

43434069641_2d2ed508a7_c.jpg

43434069141_1edcd75f7b_c.jpg

43386132282_266619b7ce_c.jpg

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench