1/32 Hasegawa P-40E Warhawk

Hi guys,

Well, this is the last one in the series of "built in a tiny hotel room in Japan". I have finally moved from the "torpedo tube" hotel room to a real apartment, so I now officially have no more excuses for any boo-boos! I really wondered what the maid thought I was doing building and displaying models in the room. At least I never had a paint spill - that might have been hard to explain!

On to the subject - I have had a consistently hard time finding any of the P-40 series from Hasegawa. I never seem to be looking when they are in production, but I finally snagged this one. I have figured out the model/paint/supplies thing here in Japan but still haven't cracked the code for AM, so she's built straight from the box, except for seat belts from Finemold. I like the belts better than PE but haven't figured out a good way to pose then realistically yet. Still working on that. 

Construction is usual modern Hasegawa, no fuss, very little filler except on the seam for the tail section but that's to be expected. Paints are a combo of Tamiya and Mr. Color and the washes are Vallejo. I tried to not over-weather, I wanted a used but not abused look. Some of the weathering doesn't show well in the photos, that's me learning the new camera. I did finally upgrade cameras from the phone to a Canon EOS T6 with all the bells and whistles but it's a steep learning curve for a camera dummy.

Without further ado:

gaiy5BU.jpg

tghWGJo.jpg

WwvoaVR.jpg

uLy5AHa.jpg

zkiKtoc.jpg

xTT3lx1.jpg

More pics to follow,

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain

I think your weathering is spot on, not all ww2 aircraft were abused. Many were well maintained. And I like the finemolds belts. If you need help getting AM, myself and others would be happy to ship them to you if you bought them and sent them to us.

Edited by 1to1scale

On 7/14/2018 at 9:55 PM, 1to1scale said:

I think your weathering is spot on, not all ww2 aircraft were abused. Many were well maintained. And I like the finemolds belts. If you need help getting AM, myself and others would be happy to ship them to you if you bought them and sent them to us.

Thanks! While I like and admire most of the weathering techniques and examples I see others do, I often think that the relatively few period photos seen of extreme abuse from local conditions - i.e., coral islands in the S Pacific - is translated to mean that every model needs the same treatment. While I suspect that very few Sturmoviks were cared for in the field, my opinion is that the average line aircraft a) didn't look quite that bad, b) didn't last long enough in combat to get really bad, and c) the ground crews occasionally had the time to keep some of the aircraft in reasonably good shape. We tend to want to model the more colorful schemes which usually were assigned to squadron or group commanders and these aircraft would have seen better care for that very reason vs. the average line example.

Thanks for the offer. I can order any of the AM I need and have my wife ship it to me (or bring it back with me when I'm home) but after finding what amounts to hobby heaven here in Japan I'm surprised that since there seems to be a huge selection (or a big rack containing) almost every possible hobby item, I haven't found the big rack of AM goodies yet. It seems to be hit or miss. 

On 7/15/2018 at 1:32 AM, Gazzas said:

Very nice!

22 hours ago, KUROK said:

Fantastic!

22 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Very nice work Mark  !!  :clap2:

Congrats on the new digs  :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, MikeC said:

Very very nice. :goodjob:

Thanks guys!!