Kitty Hawk has announced an Fw 190A-5

LSP_Kevin

Guest Peterpools

Not interested - not buying. It’s that simple. :D

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

On 7/16/2018 at 3:59 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

... It's hard to survive in a niche, let alone thrive and grow your business. The reality is, we really don't know the motivations behind the decision to develop this kit, but hoping to have a runaway sales success is certainly a valid reason to prioritise it ...

Kev

On 7/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, DeanKB said:

KH kits are sub standard. I feel they concentrate on making profits more than accuracy - the market they aim to sell to are frankly ignorant of the kits various shortcomings.

Having said that, a 190 is a bit of a double edged sword. Popular as hell, well known, German - but with multiple competitors offering kits. Revell will have greater distribution, better value, lower prices & better marketing. 

Who will pay significantly more for a KH kit, that also overlooks the Revell kits?

I just don't see it. A new 190 needs to be either cheap or accurate. I fear the KH kit will be neither & they'll be squeezed out of the market .

Time will tell.

I've an uncanny ability to be utterly wrong, time after time.

It's a gift.

I'll add my 2 cents with the following caveat ... I don't own a Kitty Hawk kit, I don't like any of their currently marketed subjects ... BUT ... I do read reviews - and there are quite a few out there that aren't pretty!! Stories of poor engineering, poor fit/finish, short shots ... and I'm sure there are more!

The secret to boosting their current market share isn't rocket science -

* Pick a popular subject that either - hasn't been kitted previously (not many choices there!) ... hasn't been kitted recently using modernised techniques (quite a few actually) ... or hasn't been kitted well in the recent past (again, there's a few that come to mind) ... 

* Do it well (Reasonably accurately, sharp detail, good engineering, good fit/finish) - so that a good display can be built OOB.

Surviving in a niche market isn't difficult if your product can produce the 'wow' effect ... WNW and ZM have managed very handsomely to build a following while focusing on different marketing strategies.

The biggest issue for KH, unfortunately, is the bad reputation they've earned for themselves. A popular subject alone is definitely not going to do it for them, especially one that has been kitted recently and kitted well - and advertising the CAD of an A-8 while labelling it an A-5 is not going to do them any favours!!

Then you have the competition argument ... Revell are renowned for cheap kits ... we've had a bit of a mixed bag from them over the last decade in terms of accuracy and engineering, to the point where they've become Trumpeter-esque in that Forrest-Gumps-Box-Of-Chocolates kind of way ... Yet we know their recent Fw.190F-8 stacks up pretty well on most fronts - so it already has a good reputation - and it's likely to remain much cheaper than anything KH can chuff out ... ZM are scheduled to release a batch of Fw-190's in the future, and their reputation is pretty good also.

They would have been better off selecting something like an early Spitfire ... Hasegawa's is old and poorly detailed (though reasonably accurate), while Revells newer tooling, though detailed well, is clunky and inaccurate. I'd wager that people would shell out the coin for an accurate and well made kit of an early Spit ... IF engineering and QA is done right and reviews are good - it might be the basis to re-boot the company in a more profitable and popular direction for future kits.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

It's dead simple guys: we were promised Jaguars, a Thunderflash and Thunderstreak.

I ask again, is there a link to this "promise"? Was a date given? Is there a catalogue number and box art? 

Radu 

12 minutes ago, Radub said:

I ask again, is there a link to this "promise"? Was a date given? Is there a catalogue number and box art? 

Radu 

on this site. 

I don't have HKM's catalogue number for the FG.1/F-4K either, but that too was pledged on this site

keep up at the back

Tony

Just now, Tony T said:

keep up at the back

Tony

I am trying to "keep up", that is why I am asking questions. So, as someone who seems to know a lot about this, can you please give us a link to where they gave deadlines for all these projects? It is easy to throw accusations and innuendos but I would like to see some hard evidence before I make up my mind. 

Radu 

It's a joke Radu, lighten up. 

The info is scattered all over this site. Last I remember was Jaguars in 2018 or 2019. 

Which replaced 2016, which replaced an earlier date. It's been something of a saga. 

Tony

Tony, it's not a joke - your input in this topic is affecting our future purchasing behavior and we take this quite serious - please provide concrete proof in the form of a linked announcement with dates and other associated data such as kit numbers and the like - you have stated something and it needs a solid academic source to be credible..... we are need to be 150% sure before we make any purchase commitments to any new Kitty Hawk products...

Cheers ;)

Alan

14 minutes ago, Tony T said:

It's a joke Radu, lighten up. 

The info is scattered all over this site. Last I remember was Jaguars in 2018 or 2019. 

Which replaced 2016, which replaced an earlier date. It's been something of a saga. 

Tony

Well, I will lighten up when you stop calling me slow! 
You are the one saying that KH "did not deliver". I would like you to show me links to the kits you claim they did not deliver. And the reason why ask that is because you mentioned the 1/32 Jaguar. In as far as I know, Mr Song showed a 3d print of a Jaguar while he was still with Trumpeter - no scale was given but most assumed it was 1/32. KH has already issued the Jaguar in 1/48 and it is very likely that the 3d work we have seen was put into that Jaguar. Can you please show us a link to the 1/32 KH Jaguar "announcement"? Was a deadline given? 
As for the 1/32 British Phantom, I am not aware of any deadline either. They did not even show CAD. 

Radu 

Just now, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Just for the CAD record, Jennings did: 

That CAD design is at an early stage. I would not consider that an "announcement" that the kit was ready to be released. I see no evidence that "this ready-to release kit was skipped in favour of a nazi fighter". :-) 

Radu 

51 minutes ago, Radub said:

I am trying to "keep up", that is why I am asking questions. So, as someone who seems to know a lot about this, can you please give us a link to where they gave deadlines for all these projects? It is easy to throw accusations and innuendos but I would like to see some hard evidence before I make up my mind. 

Radu 

I think the original comments were ostensibly opinion and an expression of frustration. Another Fw190 compared to some great iconic jets does seem like another bowl of gruel.

It never helps when you're also accused of being slow so I have some sympathy with your reaction but lets keep it to the topic...the Fw190.

Thanks Matty

14 minutes ago, LSP_Matt said:

Another Fw190 compared to some great iconic jets does seem like another bowl of gruel.

Which brings us neatly back to my pizza allegory. If you are happy with your existing pizza from your favourite pizzeria, go for that. If you want to try the pizza from the other pizzeria, which may have a different base, sauce or brand of topping sausage, go for that. In fact, no one stops you from having both at the same time. It is a completely different argument to say that every time a pizzeria makes a similar flavour of pizza that takes us further away from the realisation of some people's desire for Mongolian Barbecue. It is utter insanity to believe that Mongolian Barbecue does not exist because people keep making pizza. 
And if you really, really want Mongolian Barbecue THAT badly you can probably download a recipe, get the ingredients and make your own.

Radu 

Slight thread creep back to the Jag :wub: Glen did state here back in 2014 that we'd see at least the single seat Jags :wub: in 2016, with possibly the two-seaters :wub::wub: to follow.

Que sera sera...

Best pizza I ever had was from a small shop in Turin, just had tomato sauce on it, extremely flavoursome, but can't go there every day, and can't build a kit of a 1/32 Jaguar :wub: if there isn't one :crying: