Kitty Hawk has announced an Fw 190A-5

LSP_Kevin

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This itself is based on a false assumption: that kits like this (or any kit) are aimed at dedicated, hardcore modellers like us. We represent a thin slice of the market that, by itself, could never sustain an entire industry. These kits need to sell in volume to run-of-the-mill hobbyists, and if we happen to buy them too, all the better. It's true that larger-scale subjects do tend to attract the dedicated hobbyist, but it's really only the resin and vacuform kit manufacturers that actually target them. We tend to be more valuable to the aftermarket than we are to mainstream kit manufacturers.

In the end, this kit may not prove to be a successful move from Kitty Hawk, but I'm willing to bet it will outsell either of the belayed postwar jets.

Kev

Well, I am not convinced KH sells many large scale kits to John Doe the modeller for various reasons. First, the distribution channels. This is not Revell. Second, the price. Compared to similar models, they are not cheap. Last, the ease of assembly. The feedback of modeller's throughout the Www is not overly positive. With regard to having milking cows to finance more esoteric topics, this is typically the function of most of their 1/48th range... So, I have yet to understand. I know that one dollar given to Hasegawa does not give a cent to KH. Nonetheless, is it really more profitable to have a small share of a larger but saturated market rather than 100% of a niche one? I am not convinced! And some companies that concentrated on non- mainstream topics succeeded in making profits. And no I am not only thinking to WnW. Just look at the Eastern European companies! I hope that some people will be happy but very frankly, this gives me the bitter taste of another missed opportunity from a Chinese producer. 

I said probably false premises.

It's sad that war always sells, and that auntie feels obligated to buy junior the box with all guns blazing in the artwork rather than the flamboyantly decorated Draken or Thunderflash zooming through a flakless, peaceful sky. It makes me wonder how the Sabre Dog did for KH - albeit that they picked the ugliest version.

And if niche modellers didn't matter (your third premise), why issue models in any particular scale? Surely a Spitfire in "60cm long" scale would suit the bulk market just as well? 

Tony

3 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, I am not convinced KH sells many large scale kits to John Doe the modeller for various reasons. First, the distribution channels.

I'm really getting at Kitty Hawk's intent (or hopes) here, rather than what the distribution realities are. If they're not selling many kits to the broader modelling market, then that lends further weight to my argument that they need a kit that will. This move may belie financial struggles, or simply a play at broadening their customer base and general appeal. It's hard to survive in a niche, let alone thrive and grow your business. The reality is, we really don't know the motivations behind the decision to develop this kit, but hoping to have a runaway sales success is certainly a valid reason to prioritise it.

Kev

13 minutes ago, Tony T said:

And if niche modellers didn't matter (your third premise), why issue models in any particular scale?

It's not that they don't matter, but simply that they don't represent a large enough segment of the ROI to justify catering to them exclusively. I'd guess that each manufacturer would have their own idea of where they sit on that continuum between dedicated enthusiast and dilettante hobbyist, with companies like Airfix sitting more toward the latter end, and the likes of HK Models more towards the former. Of course, this is mostly speculation - as is most of this thread. My guess is that Kitty Hawk wants to make a play for the broader modelling market, and shift where they sit on the aforementioned continuum, and this is how they plan to facilitate that move.

On a related note, I have received some information from the Kitty Hawk camp that greatly improves the likelihood of the kit being well-researched and accurate (meaning the preliminary CAD image already posted is at least premature, if not downright misleading).

Kev

27 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I hope that some people will be happy but very frankly, this gives me the bitter taste of another missed opportunity from a Chinese producer. 

I am certain that the model you really want will be eventually issued. But I also know that someone else will immediately complain and call that a "missed opportunity."☺️ 

This is not a manufacturer problem. 

Radu

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

On a related note, I have received some information from the Kitty Hawk camp that greatly improves the likelihood of the kit being well-researched and accurate (meaning the preliminary CAD image already posted is at least premature, if not downright misleading).

Kev

The KH Voodoo kits are endorsed by Detail & Scale but they still seriously screwed up the single seater inlets. And I rest my case with regards 1/32 Luftwaffe subject modellers being a pernickety lot. 

With the sheer weight of Fw 190 kits out there, and more piling up behind the door, the KH kit will have to be great, inexpensive, and have lots of violence or menace in the box art to appeal to the Xbox children. 

1 hour ago, Radub said:

I am certain that the model you really want will be eventually issued. But I also know that someone else will immediately complain and call that a "missed opportunity."☺️ 

This is not a manufacturer problem. 

Radu

Except that KH announced  1/32 Jaguars, Thunderjets etc years ago, so it's more a case of not following through. Well, there's always 1/48 scale and, yes, it's looking rosier. 

Tony 

KH kits are sub standard. I feel they concentrate on making profits more than accuracy - the market they aim to sell to are frankly ignorant of the kits various shortcomings.

Having said that, a 190 is a bit of a double edged sword. Popular as hell, well known, German - but with multiple competitors offering kits. Revell will have greater distribution, better value, lower prices & better marketing. 

Who will pay significantly more for a KH kit, that also overlooks the Revell kits?

I just don't see it. A new 190 needs to be either cheap or accurate. I fear the KH kit will be neither & they'll be squeezed out of the market .

Time will tell.

I've an uncanny ability to be utterly wrong, time after time.

It's a gift.

So... Wait... What? 

What is the complaint here? 

Let me put it this way. You like peproni pizza. You have a favourite pizzeria. You eat your favourite pepperoni pizza there.  You are convinced that is the most authentic pepperoni pizza in the world. In fact you just had one and you loved it. Now you read on the Internet that another pizzeria is doing pepperoni pizzas. The staff is not even Italian. They are slow and the staff is untrained. And now you are upset? Why? No one forced you to do anything. Keep eating the pizza you like. Now some else is complaining that everyone keeps doing pepperoni pizzas instead of Korean barbecue and you get upset because in reality it is time someone made escargot or funazushi. ☺️ 

Rasu

10 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Nobody is upset. The more pizza, the better.

But we're allowed to discuss the new pizza - after all, this is a pizza discussion board, is it not?

You did not really read what I wrote. ☺️

Radu

And if only Wurger tasted as sweet as a quatre fromages. 

I prefer the heft of 12ins pizzas but am finding 9ins pizzas have tastier toppings.

Tony

The premise here is that KH may be releasing a Sturmock, based on a confusing CAD drawing.

So, to continue the pizza metaphor...

The pizzeria is adding anchovies, something that no other mainstream pizzeria does. In addition, some people like anchovies on their pizza. If you don't like pizza, then go to McDonalds and enjoy a burger...

Mark Proulx

PS: I like pizza...:)

2 hours ago, Radub said:

So... Wait... What? 

What is the complaint here? 

Let me put it this way. You like peproni pizza. You have a favourite pizzeria. You eat your favourite pepperoni pizza there.  You are convinced that is the most authentic pepperoni pizza in the world. In fact you just had one and you loved it. Now you read on the Internet that another pizzeria is doing pepperoni pizzas. The staff is not even Italian. They are slow and the staff is untrained. And now you are upset? Why? No one forced you to do anything. Keep eating the pizza you like. Now some else is complaining that everyone keeps doing pepperoni pizzas instead of Korean barbecue and you get upset because in reality it is time someone made escargot or funazushi. ☺️ 

Rasu

Well, I would not complain if that pizzeria had not announced years ago that they would sell escargot or funazushi soon... 

;-)