Partially painting over silvered decal?

JefH

Hello again.

Put a matte coat over my current project (Alclad matte) and had an issue with some silvering appearing which wasn't there with my gloss coat.  It's not huge, but enough to drive me crazy.  

29523723728_8a3b20d3d5_c.jpg

I've tried the trick of poking the decal with a sewing needle and applying setting solution without any success.  So I was wondering if anyone had ever masked a portion of a decal, painted over the silvering and re matte coated?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

12 hours ago, JefH said:

Hello again.

Put a matte coat over my current project (Alclad matte) and had an issue with some silvering appearing which wasn't there with my gloss coat.  It's not huge, but enough to drive me crazy.  

29523723728_8a3b20d3d5_c.jpg

I've tried the trick of poking the decal with a sewing needle and applying setting solution without any success.  So I was wondering if anyone had ever masked a portion of a decal, painted over the silvering and re matte coated?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

I've done that.  It works well, just need to use caution with masking the decals.  I used low tack post-it notes, applied to my arm a few times to further reduce the adhesive.   Last time around, with those late war crosses, I actually carefully cut out the markings on the decal sheet and used it as a stencil to paint on the cross outlines.   Much happier with the end result.

Good luck,

John 

11 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I've experienced similar issues. What gloss coat did you use?

Alclad aqua gloss.  I've used it in the past without issue.  I'm wondering if the decals were a bad batch or not stored well at the seller's warehouse I bought them from.  Earlier on in the build I had some crosses from the same build silver so badly I had to remove them and repaint/re-gloss some sections.  But it could have been an operator error on my part somehow I don't know.

46 minutes ago, John Irwin said:

I've done that.  It works well, just need to use caution with masking the decals.  I used low tack post-it notes, applied to my arm a few times to further reduce the adhesive.   Last time around, with those late war crosses, I actually carefully cut out the markings on the decal sheet and used it as a stencil to paint on the cross outlines.   Much happier with the end result.

Good luck,

John 

Thanks for the info John.  I'm glad that someone has had some success with it, I may give it a crack later today.  After all the issues I've had with decals this build I'm promising myself that my next LSP will definitely have the main markings masked and painted.

Thanks again.

Jeff

20 hours ago, JefH said:

I've tried the trick of poking the decal with a sewing needle and applying setting solution without any success.

Just an FYI, poking holes doesn't work as well (for me anyway) as slicing

very gently with a spanking new blade (don't be frightened :o).

The solvent has to have somewhere to go when it flows under the surface.

Good luck Jeff  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Man I would stipple the area with a small brush and super thin paint, you will be surprised how well this works.

I wouldn't mask it.

At least try that first in my opinion.

Edited by Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I've used tamiya liquid cement many times to set the silvering down.  Just be careful and use a brush just moistened with the cement not soaked. It softens the paint under the decal gluing it down. Works well if done correctly.