HK Lancaster

Smeds

20 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Ay-yi-yi!  That is more than $470 U.S. That can't be the actual retail or they won't sell as many of those I'll wager. I can spring for something in the low 300's, but not that.

That seems very high, although Hannants prices usually include VAT, so that may be some of it.  Freetime Hobbies is showing the US retail price as $360 and is taking pre-orders at $330.

The Hannants price is £360 with the advance order discount. It then reverts to full whack at £400.

That's a little more rich than previously envisaged so it's going to demand a bit of shopping around.

Tony

13 hours ago, Finn said:

Don't forget the aftermarket Small Bomb Containers:

75-squadron-jn-lanc.jpg

Jari

lovely picture - out of interest, what are the three small silver (?) squares with holes on the leading edge of the right hand wing ??

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

lovely picture - out of interest, what are the three small silver (?) squares with holes on the leading edge of the right hand wing ??

Could they possibly be cable-cutters? 

I’m sure I’ve seen a similar fit before, but they do look rather close together on the onboard wing section. I presume there’s a similar fit on the other wing, but they’re obscured by the nose. 

You can see something similar on the outboard sections of wing too, it’s just they’re not as shiny. They certainly correspond to the correct locations for the cable cutters. Maybe the inboard ones are new?

Just my 2-pennies worth and no doubt the proper Lancaster bods will chip in...

Tom

I think that the cable cutters were positioned beyond the outboard engines and the small intakes on the inner wing leading edge, I believe are cabin heater intakes!

However, I could be wrong so take the above with a pinch of salt!

5 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

What benefit would there be in having a cutter BEHIND the inboard props?

I think the idea is that the cable would be forced along the leading edge before being cut. To me the whole concept of the cutters is a mystery as there’s a large proportion of the wing behind the propeller arcs anyway and therefore the chances of the cutters being able to do their job was minimal!

Tony’s suggestion if cabin heater intakes is certainly more feasible. 

Edit: The BBMF Lanc has whatever they are fitted - you can clearly see them in close up images of her. There’s actually three of them on the inner section leading edge - it looks like they are not cabin heater intakes as there is only a single intake on the leading edge in this section...

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos

12 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Had Mine delivered today, here she is

43635214741_f9f0801c3b_b.jpg

43635216271_4b50b16b98_b.jpg

42732430605_f7f564ff62_b.jpg

41828610340_463c4569ba_b.jpg

Only Joking ! I took these at Flying Legends  but it certainly gives a taster of things to come.

Very realistic finish ! I like the way you have achieved a weathered and faded look without the dreaded quilting :)

Hubert