Flat monofilament. Finally found some !

10 hours ago, modelingbob said:

Take a look at fly tying thread. Most fly fishing stores stock it. It comes in a wide variety of sizes and features a flat profile. Fly tying thread is different from any other type of thread and is flat so it will not build up bulk when tying flies. For example, Danville 6/0 fly tying thread is about .004" by .002" which is about scale thickness for 1/48. Danville 3/0 is about scale thickness for LSP's. I've tried using it, but I found it very difficult to use in trying to not introduce any twist(s) in the rigging wire. Admittedly, my hands are pretty clumsy and shakey, and my eyes are very poor, so you may be able to get it to work for you. I've settled on .004" & .006"  monofilament fishing line for all my rigging as I don't have to worry about twist. 

Many thanks for the input. Spending time in fly-fishing shops is the first thing I did, although admittedly the ones I ccould find in France in my area were probably not as well supplied of some American or Canadian or English or Irish shops :).

My personal issue with these is that, as their name implies, they are threads, i.e. made of multiples strands. However, they may be suitable, and more scale-like than my find, as your experience indicates.

Most important for me is the ability of the material to gain tension by heat-shrinking. This way, you get straight wires AND structural benefits. Hence my quest for flat monofilament. Interesting idea worth exploring, nevertheless.

Hubert

Edited by Hubert Boillot

Some flytying threads are more "solid" than others, it depends on the brand. Some brands are "waxed" which tends to hold the thread together, especially under tension. And yes, you can NOT gain tension by heat shrinking. Hopefully, a fly shop in your area will have the thread for you to examine closely before purchase so you can pick the attributes that best meet your needs. The good news is, it's cheap at a buck or two a spool so you don't need to invest much $$$$ to see if it will work for your needs. As I said earlier, I could not get fly tying thread to work for me, due to the "twist" issue, but it does appear to have the correct "flat" profile of RAF wires. 

<<<My personal issue with these is that, as their name implies, they are threads, i.e. made of multiples strands

Most important for me is the ability of the material to gain tension by heat-shrinking>>>

• 1 month later...