Revell 41 Willy's -"Demon II"-Completed 09/07

mustang1989

Well, Joe, I couldn't seem to help myself. Here's the particular boxing of the '40 Willys that I grabbed (Hobby Lobby, 40% off;... I love Hobby Lobby). I'll discard the truck parts and just go for the coupe version. I always liked the fuel tank in the grille location, so may opt for that as well, when I do mine.

XOdwgV.jpg

8 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Well, Joe, I couldn't seem to help myself. Here's the particular boxing of the '40 Willys that I grabbed (Hobby Lobby, 40% off;... I love Hobby Lobby). I'll discard the truck parts and just go for the coupe version. I always liked the fuel tank in the grille location, so may opt for that as well, when I do mine.

Oh HELL yeah!!! I'll be watching for the thread.

Well guys I've been working on this one on and off this week. Engine build is under way. As mentioned earlier, I've decided to NOT go the blower route and go with a dual quad super stock motor. I'll be using the heads, rocker covers, intake and timing cover out of the 68 Hemi Dart kit (which I'll have to replace because I do want to build a Hemi Dart) and retaining the block and transmission from the Willys Street rod kit so as to keep the mods to fit the engine into the frame to a minimum. I had to modify the timing cover and intake slightly to get them to fit together on this engine block. I've been doing a lot of studying on this particular powerplant because I want to replicate the fuel delivery system and throttle linkage.

Here's the base build up as of earlier in the week:

and here we are with it as of now:

another thing that has caught my interest are the two piece aluminum wheels that are available these days. I actually acquired these wheels some time back but the rear wheels were so wide that I didn't have a tire wide enough to mount them in. So I took both of the wheel sleeves into a machine shop and had them cut the sleeve to the depth I wanted and "Walla!" , I've got myself a set of usable Pro Street wheels now. I'll have the wheel studs and lug nuts installed in a few days.
Here's where we're gonna go with the tire and wheel set up:

Edited by mustang1989

I've been messing around with the stance and have gotten this low but want it even lower. I'll have to bust out my bag of tricks on this one.

Here's the rolling chassis with the powertrain test fitted. This car is ALL motor and tire!!!

Got the distributor drilled a few days ago in anticipation for the orange spark plug wire arrival in the mail. I got the wires yesterday so I went to work on that this morning.

I also received my "banjo" fittings for the carburetors so I can run those fuel lines now.

My intention was to go with the stock routing and lines for the fuel delivery but this is a custom ride. I found some photos that I took at the San Antonio speedway that may suit this build even better.

A nicely built Hemi with the super stock manifold in a Belvedere:

BTW..............I'll be saving the stock routing for the kit that I robbed this motor from. Oh but wait................there's no motor in that kit any more. :hmm: No worries about that......I purchased the replacement kit yesterday.

revell-1-25-68-dodge-hemi-dart-2-n-1-500

Edited by mustang1989

Kevin: You aint kiddin' about that!! 

Thanks MARU!! 

I didn't like the hole that was cut in the hood. I'm not much of a fan of that kind of stuff because most of the time it just looks cheap and half done. There are those cars that do look cool with a hole in the hood and a big tunnel ram dual quad setup coming out of the hood but this aint that car.

I cut some black Evergreen styrene to match the hole, glued it into place with Tamiya cement, filled in the cracks and low spots with super glue and sanded everything flush nice and purdy.

Hemi is still coming along as well:

an "in chassis" shot with the engine wire harness installed:

It's gonna take up the whole engine bay opening when it's all said and done. Still gotta work on the stance some. :hmm: