Revell 41 Willy's -"Demon II"-Completed 09/07

mustang1989

Ok gang. I need something that's going to go a little smooth for me with this Freightliner build looming in the background so I've decided to take on another "Demon II" project. I'll be taking the original gasser idea and slamming it to the ground for more of a Pro Street look. Paint scheme will be the original Street Demons theme with the flames on the sides.

Here we go:

Edited by mustang1989

Cool project, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more, Joe. I just checked my inventory sheet, and I do have a '40 Willys, but no '41. It's likely that I'll do my '40 as a "front end up', old school gasser, as I just love that look.

I suspect that you could easily do that, Joe. I've only been playing with lacquers on car models for a short while, but think that my painting is pretty decent, and I've seen you do much better.

9 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I suspect that you could easily do that, Joe. I've only been playing with lacquers on car models for a short while, but think that my painting is pretty decent, and I've seen you do much better.

Wow! You've got alot of confidence in my abilities. ^_^ Thanks for the encouragement Kev. I'll be going with the original Street Demons theme on this one. Been wanting to build this kit again for soooo long.

Although not of the best quality, here's a picture of the original Street Demons build back in '83 right after the kit was released with a wider set of tires in the rear.

photo 2015-07-01202015-07-012000120001_zpsmdev2qyl.jpg

photo 2015-07-01202015-07-012000120002_zpshan5dgob.jpg

Thanks Gaz! These are pretty cool rides and I've always had an eye for them.

This kit comes with a blown 426 Hemi but I don't like that nasty blower intake coming up out of the hood. My aim is to fill in the hole in the hood and to change the induction up on the engine a bit. Gonna go with a late 60's Super Stock 426 dual quad setup instead:

a990-engine.jpg

I've got the chassis mostly finished up except for the brake rotors up front and the exhaust system. I've also gotta tweak the toe in setting on the front end to keep the excessive toe in look from happening on the front wheels when fully assembled.
I narrowed the rear axle to get the wider tires underneath the rear fenders and lowered the front suspension a good 1/8" to make it an even drop all the way around.

I did acquire the only PE piece made for this kit which will help the front end out ALOT. Sorry Revell..................that's good for OOB but it aint gonna cut it on this build.

I'm currently working on the engine which will take me a bit because of the detail I want to throw at this beast. I'll be robbing a lot of the parts except for the base engine block and transmission (which I'll leave OOB) from the Revell Hemi Dart kit. I was going to post some engine progress pics as well but the Spaz Stix clear doesn't work well with Model Master acrylic paint. Turned it white in the crevices so I'll be shooting another thin coat of orange on the block and re-coating the clear with Tamiya clear like I usually do the next time around. Learning curve complete.   Wink

Guest Peterpools

Nice start on the build and eagerly looking forward to the painting process

Keep ‘em comin

Peter 

22 hours ago, Gazzas said:

mmmmmm...that grill do look nice!  I'm amazed that you can tweak the toe-in settings without having the wheels on.  Wheel alignment is something I struggle with on aircraft as well as wheeled vehicles and tanks.

You learn after a few trial and errors Gaz. It's like second nature now. lol 

Thanks BTW.

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Nice start on the build and eagerly looking forward to the painting process

Keep ‘em comin

Peter 

Thanks Peter! 

9 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

The more I look at this, the more I'm tempted to crank up on my own '40. I have some new lacquers that I'd like to try out.

Do it.............you KNOW you want to. sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

8 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Do it.............you KNOW you want to. sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

I do want to. Unfortunately painting and polishing them is about as far as I ever get. I really need to finish the five or six that I've already got started. We have two local, annual car model contests here, and I'd love to enter a few one of these days (plus just finishing them).