Dipping Canopies

haveblue

Ok for those that are still interested/care this is what I have concluded...dipping canopies is out and polishing canopies is in.

• AKI Gauzy agent just kept leaving bubbles over the canopy with or without the windex treatment
  • Alclad aqua gloss 600 does not leave bubbles, but it doesn't completely eliminate the fine scratches from the micro mesh 

I now polish the canopies with the Tamiya compound and finish with the gloss varnish. Results are better and faster than dipping:

YiUTnu.jpg

Much happier with the end result! :)

3n8Thd.jpg

Edited by haveblue

I have an old enclosed acrylic model display box that I use for letting clear parts dry in.  It was damaged on the side so has a small hole to vent.  I dip my canopy parts in future, I have used the same bottle of future forever, I dip the parts and pour the liquid back into the battle.  Then when ready I put the parts in the box to dry.  I have had good luck as long as the parts are clean when I dip them, they don’t have dusties after they dry.

I too like polishing however I have perfected (IMHO anyway) the dipping process as my normal MO for attaching windscreens and canopies is thin CA. I found polished canopies were still susceptible to CA fumes.

I agree dust is hard to keep away, but I usually dip multiple times  then its immediately into a very small TupperWare  container with a lid that I crack slightly to dry for about a week. Generally this works out great. 

I agree however polishing can yield great results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:19 AM, DonH said:

I have stopped dipping canopies with Future and I have not tried the AK stuff. For 1/72 scale, I don't bother at all, just give the canopy a wipe with a cloth and that's it. For larger scales, I tend to polish with Tamiya polishing compound. It's way more work than dipping, but it does produce nice results.

I'm into the polishing as well.  I think it yields a more scale-like shine as well.

A dipped canopy really does sparkle with a shiny finish, but for me it is almost jarring in contrast to a weathered military aircraft.

On 8/13/2018 at 12:51 AM, haveblue said:

Ok for those that are still interested/care this is what I have concluded...dipping canopies is out and polishing canopies is in.

• AKI Gauzy agent just kept leaving bubbles over the canopy with or without the windex treatment
  • Alclad aqua gloss 600 does not leave bubbles, but it doesn't completely eliminate the fine scratches from the micro mesh 

I now polish the canopies with the Tamiya compound and finish with the gloss varnish. Results are better and faster than dipping:

YiUTnu.jpg

Much happier with the end result! :)

3n8Thd.jpg

How are you applying that Tamiya varnish product?

I've never even seen that before.

I'd be interested in anything you can tell me about it.

On 9/1/2018 at 6:33 AM, ringleheim said:

How are you applying that Tamiya varnish product?

I've never even seen that before.

I'd be interested in anything you can tell me about it.

I suppose a search on youtube would bring up several tutorials. 

Hi,

Recently I tried to save a clear resin canopy.

It had quite deep scratches I did not manage to erase with sanding/polishing option only.

I tried Future/klir dipping with not real success.

Then i bought AK gauzy glass coat. It filled the scratches and gave a nice finish.

But It has left some bubbles or dust.

I managed to erase them by polishing with tamiya compound.

And then, i applied the Tamiya modelling wax:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87036/index.htm

This product is excellent.

Now my canopy is saved, and shiny!

Romain

Re the gloss coating varnish: it’s quite thin in viscosity, and applied with the same polishing clothes used with the tamiya compounds. 

It says on the instructions not to apply too much as the clear plastic may become cloudy or opaque. 

Other than that it was really easy to apply and when I pick up the canopy now I don’t leave fingerprints on it. It seems to eliminate some of the fine scratches if there’s any still left after you’ve gone through the 3 types of polishing compounds :)