B26 Marauder - LSP

Bomber_County

Just a thought to all those who worry about display space for the large B-17s - The HK B-17s come with a wall mount bracket. Hang it on the wall! :)

But being totally serious: SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE US A GREAT 1/32 B-26 MARAUDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES! PLEASE!!!

With the HK B-17s and B-25s, the upcoming Lancaster and the supposedly coming-this-year B-24D and B-24J from Hobby Boss, the next logical kit IS THE B-26!!

Ok. I'm done.

-Ro

You would think, we would have gotten a Marauder before a Lib!   Maybe not via production numbers, but for size in 32nd..............although extremely poplar, a B-24 seems seemed more of a long shot in 1/32nd than a B-26 did/does. 

I think the Liberator is just more iconic and liable to pull good numbers for being a HUGE kit. Think WWII US bombers and it or the B-25 is probably going to be #2 after the B-17 in popularity. The B-25 kind of opened up the market IMHO - HK dipped their toe in with a medium-sized 2-engine bomber in large scale and it was a hit, so the B-17 was the next logical choice. HB saw those doing well and jumped on the B-24. I don't think the Marauder has all that much recognition or currency in the market, or it would have been done. I suspect the B-29 is just too damned big to sell in any numbers.

Gwana,

The B-24 may be more iconic than the B-26 (though not quite as well known as the B-17, despite its far greater production numbers) - BUT - the Martin B-26 holds a record neither the 17 nor 24 (nor any other American aircraft) can claim: Most missions flown (207 by Flak Bait).

Also, the B-26, by the end of the war, had lost fewer planes than almost any other aircraft of the war.

Not bad at all. It was also a much better looking airplane than the B-24. :)

If we are going to build models of the iconic bombers of the war, the two main twin engine aircraft (B-25 and B-26) should definitely be represented. The B-25, thanks to HK Models, was successful enough that we have three versions to choose from to model (I have all three). I also have both B-17's currently available and am waiting, impatiently, for both Hobby Boss B-24's!

I am sure enough of us out here would snag up at least a couple 26's to make it a worthwhile venture! There are quite enough 109's and 190's imo and if companies can release successful kits of things that really didn't even fly or fly much at all (Do-335 comes to mind), they can certainly count on us to make it worth their while to do a B-26!

My humble opinion, of course! :)

-Ro

1 hour ago, Reuben L. Hernandez said:

Bring it on, love the 26, but please make it realistically affordable 

I think if it were put out by the likes of HpH or similar, we would see HIGH detail, accessories and price but LOWER buildability. However, if we would end up seeing one from HB, Trumpeter or another larger IM manu, we would likely see lower detail and price, but higher buildability IMHO. 

On 7/11/2018 at 12:43 PM, ScottsGT said:

Adam,

I had the same train of thought with the big B-17 kit.  Already built a 1/48 Lancaster so I was going to stick to that scale in the big 4 engine bombers.  Until I saw one of them in person.  I've thrown caution to the wind, got myself a big Memphis Belle to build now and a Lancaster on pre-order.  If I have to build a bigger better display case, so be it!! 

There is always the wall to put them on rather than in a display  case - more practical I should think when you think of the shelf area a 1/32 heavy will take up.  That is what I will do, certainly.

For me though the pleasure is in the building not the displaying and I have a clear out every now and then with the last lot going to a school museum.

11 hours ago, Rowen said:

Gwana,

The B-24 may be more iconic than the B-26 (though not quite as well known as the B-17, despite its far greater production numbers) - BUT - the Martin B-26 holds a record neither the 17 nor 24 (nor any other American aircraft) can claim: Most missions flown (207 by Flak Bait).

Also, the B-26, by the end of the war, had lost fewer planes than almost any other aircraft of the war.

Not bad at all. It was also a much better looking airplane than the B-24. :)

If we are going to build models of the iconic bombers of the war, the two main twin engine aircraft (B-25 and B-26) should definitely be represented. The B-25, thanks to HK Models, was successful enough that we have three versions to choose from to model (I have all three). I also have both B-17's currently available and am waiting, impatiently, for both Hobby Boss B-24's!

I am sure enough of us out here would snag up at least a couple 26's to make it a worthwhile venture! There are quite enough 109's and 190's imo and if companies can release successful kits of things that really didn't even fly or fly much at all (Do-335 comes to mind), they can certainly count on us to make it worth their while to do a B-26!

My humble opinion, of course! :)

-Ro

For important twins, dont forget the Wellington - that has to be on anyone's list.

The B26 certainly does appeal to me, I would be up for one...

I dont have the B17, the B24 tempts me more and a Halifax temps me more than a Lancaster!!!  I will probably end up with all of them....

Heresy I know, but I would be happy to see a new tool one in 1/48, the old Revell kit is getting long in the tooth and a newer, better fitting and more detailed kit would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, BarryWilliams said:

For important twins, dont forget the Wellington - that has to be on anyone's list.

The B26 certainly does appeal to me, I would be up for one...

I dont have the B17, the B24 tempts me more and a Halifax temps me more than a Lancaster!!!  I will probably end up with all of them....

Barry,

I certainly agree! I'd love a Wellington, too!

It seems that any time they changed a wiring harness in a 109 or 190, someone makes a model of the new version. Personally, I'm quite sick of 109's, 190's, 51's etc. It's time to see the bombers in 1/32! After that, it's time to see some of the important and very neglected Japanese planes in 1/32 - such as the Val and Kate.

-Ro

15 hours ago, Rowen said:

That was because its' entry into actual combat was delayed by "teething pains". which included Glen Martin being forced by Senator Harry Truman to initiate the changes necessary to make it a safer and more flyable aircraft in 1942, which were not fully initiated until February 1943.

Meantime, those that soldiered on since America's entry into the war like the B-25 suffered more losses simply because they served longer in actual combat arenas, not staying back in the 'States bring proven whether or not they could be safely handled without extra hours of special flight training for a reputed "Widow Maker".

4 hours ago, Gigant said:

That was because its' entry into actual combat was delayed by "teething pains". which included Glen Martin being forced by Senator Harry Truman to initiate the changes necessary to make it a safer and more flyable aircraft in 1942, which were not fully initiated until February 1943.

Meantime, those that soldiered on since America's entry into the war like the B-25 suffered more losses simply because they served longer in actual combat arenas, not staying back in the 'States bring proven whether or not they could be safely handled without extra hours of special flight training for a reputed "Widow Maker".

Yet by war's end, one of them - Flak Bait - flew more missions than any other aircraft. Hmmm...... Interesting, is it not?

I would posit that Flak Bait was not the only B-26 flying a lot of missions. I would also posit that it doesn't matter how long a particular plane served in the war but rather how many missions they flew overall. Those missions were where the highest probability of loss were, not sitting on the tarmac. The F6F Hellcat didn't enter service until September of 1943 yet it had the highest number of kills in any single theater by the end of the war (followed very closely by the P-51).

In any case, we LSP modelers need to have a decent B-26 to build. We now have two excellent B-17's and three excellent B-25's. Time for the 24, 26 and, dare I say it? 29!!! Of course I am speaking solely about the main American bombers here. I'd love a Wellington and a Betty in my collection as well! :)

-Ro

Edited by Rowen

The Marauder is a favourite of mine too, that is why I was so disappointed when that first company that was bringing out those 32nd scale bombers, "Wingscale"..I think their name was, or something like that, folded, because the Marauder was one of the first ones on their list, I even remember pre ordering one on their website, and thats the first and only time I ever did that, thats how much I wanted one.

Cheer's,

Jeff.