Sign in to follow this  
Gazzas

Anybody got a SharpenAir?

Wiping off the needle after a lacquer session, it flew from my hand, cartwheeling into space...

With a sickening "ThoK!" my needle embedded itself into the pine boards at the base of my airbrushing table.

Removing the needle from it's temporary residence, I discovered a bend in the tip.

SharpenAir looks like it might do the trick.  Anyone know for sure?

Gaz

I damaged a .2 mm Harder and Steenbeck needle in exactly the same manner.  I was able to restore it with a whetstone and sand paper.

The SharpenAir device looks pretty neat and appears to perform as claimed.  Here is one review which demonstrates the item in action Sharpen Air.  

I have a sharpenair and I used it on a grex .3 needle with a bent tip. After the repair,  It looks good under magnification, and I can not longer feel the irregularity with my finger.  I have yet to use the needle, so I can not say how well it works.

I also used it on a totally trashed badger 150 needle which was in a trashed 150 I got on ebay. I am not sure what happened to this needle, it looks like someone tried to clean it with  a large file. The tip was nearly blunt. I did manage to bring it back and it looks like it may be usable.

I figure it will pay for itself after saving two grex needles.

Thank you for the replies!

I just received my Sharpenair 1/2 hour ago, and now my needle is straight and clean again. 

I used a file and sandpaper on my first bent needle, but I don't think that airbrush ever painted as well again.  It was fine for area painting, but I could never once again get a fine line.

Tested my newly cleaned needle because I needed to practice on mottle on my 1/48 painting hack...  Anyway, nice fine lines.  Very happy that I have one.

Gaz

Gaz

Food for thought and will look into one. The few times I’ve bent the tip of the needle over the years, I’ve just bit the bullet and bought a new needle and tip as over time the tips opening gets wider and wider from the needle being pushed in place a bit too far.

Peter

Posted (edited)

Interesting tool. Seems like a good investment.

Just wondering whether one of those set will work with the needles of my airbrushes (HP-C plus, HP-CH, CM-C2 plus et al).

The HP-C plus/HP-CH needles for instance have a distinct double cut at the tip.

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

How about a quick turorial?

Peter

Peter,

I used this tutorial from Youtube:

He doesn't say anything useful until 3:20 when he bends his needle and then again at 4:50 when he starts to use the tool.

I also didn't do the bit at the end with the drill.  It just seemed too fraught with potential dangers.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz

Just finished watching Bobby's How To video and then found it for sale here in the US for $45. Looks interesting but also seems like a lot of work. When Bobby was finished and did a close up of the needle tip, it still was bent a tiny bit.

It seems to be more of an insurance backup when a needle gets bent and there is no backup.

Peter

42 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

He doesn't say anything useful until 3:20 when he bends his needle and then again at 4:50 when he starts to use the tool.

Sounds like a typical smoke-screen type of sales pitch to cover up the fact that it doesn't really do anything you can't do on your own.