SBD-3 done

A scouting 10 SBD-3 from Enterprise, October 1942. In the Battle of Santa Cruz this a/c, along with another, surprised the Zuiho with successful attacks and got away scot free. One of Trumpeters better kits. After market items are Eduard seat belts (thanks Andre!) and the rear guns which are brass that I bought many years ago and used on a Matchbox SBD build. I do not remember who made them. I also took the wheels from the Matchbox kit and used them here. The armor plate(s) were scratch built. Paints used were Colourcoats for the exterior and Model Master for the interior (mixed to suit my eyes). The national insignias were Montex masks and painted with Xtracolor (blue) and MM (white). I added a chart I printed out on my computer to the pilot's pull-out chart table. I hope you guys like it. :)

HwOPvlM.jpg

x3Hhe7G.jpg

zo4oqAP.jpg

wvB4EzQ.jpg

MljyZdl.jpg

4BzkaxN.jpg

T2374zR.jpg

zm5zhyi.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

Fantastic build and some  very realistic weathering. Sure have to get back to my SBD and finish her up, as you and Andre are putting me to shame :(

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

Lovely work, John.  I gotta build one of these.

Thanks Adam. It's a nice kit and one of Trumpeter's best.

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

Fantastic build and some  very realistic weathering. Sure have to get back to my SBD and finish her up, as you and Andre are putting me to shame :(

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you Peter! I hope you will finish your bird soon so we can enjoy taking a look at it. :)

John...Nice SBD! I read the book "Pacific Payback" about the USS Enterprise and the SBD squadrons up to the Battle of Midway. Was a fantastic book...bought a SBD-3 as well as decals for an Enterprise bird. Was amazing how they could dive...release their bomb and pull out with that massive  G load and no G-suits. Great build on an airplane that took the fight back to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. 

Cheers...Ron

3 hours ago, TorbenD said:

I love the subtle modulation in the paintwork John - great finish.

Torben

Thanks Torben. :)

2 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

John...Nice SBD! I read the book "Pacific Payback" about the USS Enterprise and the SBD squadrons up to the Battle of Midway. Was a fantastic book...bought a SBD-3 as well as decals for an Enterprise bird. Was amazing how they could dive...release their bomb and pull out with that massive  G load and no G-suits. Great build on an airplane that took the fight back to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. 

Cheers...Ron

Thank you Ron! :)