ZM 1/32 Horten Ho229..FINISHED

Robthepom

19 hours ago, Robthepom said:

Was there an issue with ZM and continental tyres?? surly they did make a spelling mistake in the moulds, or didnt they have permission to use the name

It's all about permission and licensing. Dragon does the same thing on their German armor kits except they spell it CONTINENTAU so all you have to do is scrape off part of the U.

2 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

It's all about permission and licensing. Dragon does the same thing on their German armor kits except they spell it CONTINENTAU so all you have to do is scrape off part of the U.

Interesting, i never knew that

I got bit bored with wiring the junction box, so the good thing about 1/32 kits is i can leave it and start the next subassembly

Every blog and build thread i have ever read comments on the size of the front landing gear, and I'm not about to break that tradition.....its HUGE!!

I decided to cut the wheel locating pins, I just need to go through my spares box to find right size axel

I'm going to leave the Oo, I'll make a mess of modifying the letter

v4JpC8C.jpg?1

a8dg0Gm.jpg?1

Edited by Robthepom

I am loving this build.

With the tyres, if you put a drop of masking fluid at the right place on the "O" and then carefully dry brush the letters, to make them stand out a bit, remove the masking fluid et voila, a C and not and O. That might work?

5 minutes ago, DonH said:

I am loving this build.

With the tyres, if you put a drop of masking fluid at the right place on the "O" and then carefully dry brush the letters, to make them stand out a bit, remove the masking fluid et voila, a C and not and O. That might work?

Hey Hey your a genius, what a great idea thanks

Rob,

first let me thank you for allowing the questions on your thread. For the nose wheel i did exactly what you did. I cut the wheel locating pins and drilled a hole in both points (2mm diam was the exact size) and then glued polished the seam and painted the assembly and added the nose wheel last with a 2mm rod to hold everything together. Worked a charm. 

That wiring is sublime! I just didn’t go that route myself since the fuselage skins will be on. On the other hand i did open some of the metal hatches on the fuselage, scratch built the hatches and the railings and am using brass bolts and rivets to simulate the attachments bolts. I am hoping it will come out good. 

The kit as you mentioned is nothing but fun. 

Looking forward to your progress, as i do everyday!

Karim

Thanks Don and Karimb

I continued work on the under carriage, i found that a aluminium pop rivit is the perfect size for the axle.  

The rear wheels are a pleasure to paint and fit, I've found that if the fit isnt perfect you've done something wrong.

I couldnt help but put the frame on the wheels, and i honestly smiled when i looked at the assembly, the cockpit must be 8foot off the ground, amazing aircraft for its day, amazing

Sorry for the bad photos need better light tomorrow

htPvPC3.jpg

U9LEnhi.jpg

o9etNbu.jpg

I,m really not confident in my dry brushing skills to highlight the Oontinental, I had a try on some of the sprue numbers and looked terrible, so I'll leave them not highlighted

*i just edited this post. I must apologise to my old English teachers for my terrible grammer and spelling........Note to self, dont post after drinking beer*

Edited by Robthepom

Super!

shes quite the stunner standing on her legs. Yes i noticed it must have been quite awkward to climb up the cockpit. Take a look once you have the nose fuselage skins on, perpendicularly down the cockpit and you will see this whole thing is trusses straight through to the ground. Open air. Must have been really uncomfortable for the pilot with the engines so close and the cold from beneath when on ground!

i still haven’t managed to snap photos except on my phone. I just finished the woodgrain on the top fuselage after some booboos which made me restart the whole process twice!

looking forward to your update Rob!

Karim

Rob,

She's really looking excellent. 

If I can offer a thought on drybrushing the letters on the tires:   I would mask the words tightly and then dip my brush in enamel and paint it on to bare brown cardboard until no paint seems to be coming out of the brush on to the cardboard.  Then I'd lightly go over the letters with the brush.

Gaz

So beautiful, but so fragile.  Love the exposed look.

Might be a little late, but why not just shave off the extra part of the O to turn it into a C?  Shouldn't be too tough with a chisel or knife blade

Matt 

thanks for the great advice guys, everything is still snapped together so still time to give both methods a go.

Gaz...... masking the letters!!:frantic:haha wow that will be fun, right? maybe? 

I took more photos in daylight and without beer, i added my tamiya mozzie figures for a bit of scale

SEDr7q7.jpg

thgfOA2.jpg

HKYbqGs.jpg

ygFhmVd.jpg

Wife is at work tonight, so i have footy, beer, and modelling.....life is sometimes just perfect:wub:

Funny story but i actually look like the pilot, the resemblance is a bit freeky

Edited by Robthepom

3 hours ago, Robthepom said:

thanks for the great advice guys, everything is still snapped together so still time to give both methods a go.

Gaz...... masking the letters!!:frantic:haha wow that will be fun, right? maybe? 

Not each letter individually...I'm not that crazy.  Just alongside and across the ends.

3 hours ago, Robthepom said:

Funny story but i actually look like the pilot, the resemblance is a bit freeky

Make sure you wear a flight helmet to QMHE!

Gaz

Thanks for the comments guys, i did some work on the cockpit side walls today, i sprayed German grey, i also added a few placards from my spares box just for bit of added detail to the otherwise bare panels. I actually found the kit decals very thick and took a lot of setting solution to get them into the contours.

I painted the levers with Humbrol gloss red, i'll tone down the red once its dry which will probably be in about 3 weeks time

AOjsrja.jpg?1

LCe9qrn.jpg?1

mek1w2v.jpg