• 3 weeks later...

The shape and look of the Avionix seat is good but the seat cushion/parachute pack, is unlike any I have seen in all the photographs of Skyhawks that I've run across. So, a small amount of work, sanding and filling the depressions with Milliput and Mr. Surfacer, produced a seat cushion that looks more like what I see in photographs.

84Aa7P6.jpg

vrhtYLf.jpg

yTaPbUq.jpg 

Some rattle can primer to check my work...

pv6L0nb.jpg

Er3NFLW.jpg

Edited by GDW

Tried airbrushing Mr. Color paint today. I shot the two uppermost colors in the paint scheme, just to see how they looked together. I thought the paint, thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, sprayed very well without any issues whatsoever. I used a Bager 150 dual action airbrush with a medium needle for the overall color (18 psi) and the fine needle for the darker grey (15 psi).

First color: 50/50 mix of 308 and 311

Darkest top color: 50/50 mix of 308 and 337

Thinned 1:1 with leveling thinner

Below is the old 1/32 Hasegawa A-4 E/F that I'm using as a paint mule.

PJ0zbme.jpg

V2M96gy.jpg

BXSsBmG.jpg

My airbrushing skills are very rusty. The session today was about blowing the cobwebs off my spraying and beginning to understand how to use Mr. Color paint. 

Edited by GDW

The colors are not bad but I would like to see a little more contrast between them. This old Hasegawa kit that I've had since the late 90's looks pretty good with a little paint on it. 

Edited by GDW

I agree, the colours look good, but need a touch more contrast.  I think after a little weathering they could start looking similar in shade.  You are very very close though....mind you I am only looking at a screen...

Keep up the great work!

tf4xZN8.jpg

LuLGE2N.jpg

6s8uQXn.jpg

After reviewing the color callouts on this image Kagemusha sent me, I noticed that I sprayed the wrong color for the middle grey. Should have used the 69/73 mix! Oops... 

Well, I have some experience with Mr. Color paint now anyway. Great stuff. This kind if thing is what the paint mule is for.

I think that the 308 + 311 mix is way to dark for the underside.

Edited by GDW

Wait just a second! This is why I got confused about the colors, check it out...

1n7UwRx.jpg

dRbFFIj.jpg

Two different mixes for the same color.

Edited by GDW

5 hours ago, GDW said:

Wait just a second! This is why I got confused about the colors, check it out...

1n7UwRx.jpg

dRbFFIj.jpg

Two different designations for the same color.

Isn't that supossed to be a mix between those two colors??

On 8/5/2018 at 12:57 AM, kike_gt said:

Isn't that supossed to be a mix between those two colors??

Yes but which two? The lighter grey on the upper wing and the fuselage is made up of the SAME two colors but the instructions are showing otherwise! It's a typo. I think where the instructions are indicating 73 + 69 at the top, it should read 311 + 308, maybe.

Edited by GDW

My point is, where the red arrows are aimed, those areas are either a 50:50 mix of 308 + 311 or 73 + 69, not a separate color for the top of the wings and the other for the fuselage.

Edited by GDW

0MrUn4G.jpg

UQHAdJu.jpg

The arrows are pointing to areas of the aircraft that are painted the SAME SHADE OF GREY but the instructions call for two different color mixes (73 + 69 and 311 + 308) when only one should be called out for those parts of the plane the red arrows are pointing to.

Edited by GDW

Ok, the above Phoenix instructions, also say that the underside of the aircraft should be painted with a 50:50  mix of  308 + 311. That's totally wrong because the color called for on the top of the wing is 308 + 311. Underside lighter, top darker. NOT THE SAME. The following pictures show the three colors making up the paint scheme and where they're located,

MjcUJlK.jpg

rE8yfNj.jpg

eIDBuXu.jpg

xMlmSXY.jpg

Edited by GDW

5 hours ago, DonH said:

My reading of this is:

Top side colours are 73+69 and 337+308

Bottom colours are 308+311

I'm not saying they are correct but that is how I read the instructions.

Yeah but look at this, the top of the wing, 308 + 311

dRbFFIj.jpg

Bottom of the wing, 308 + 311

0MrUn4G.jpg

That's what I'm looking at...

Edited by GDW