• 3 months later...

Greetings friends.

Ok, so not much of an update here but something regarding paint choices for the camouflage. Earlier in the build I tested the color mixes given by the Phoenix decal instructions, sent to me by Kagemusha. I liked the two upper colors but the lightest grey for the underside of the aircraft was way too dark. I also tried the FS26515 grey, which the 1/48 FCM decal instructions call out for underside. Again, looked too dark when compared to the reference I have and next to the lighter of the two greys that was sprayed on the Hasegawa A-4. The Caracal Models decal sheet says to use FS36495 light grey, so after looking around I found that Hataka has it in their line, so I am ordering up the Hataka light grey plus some of their flat white in case I would like to lighten it up even more.

JBBxGet.jpg

At least I have found colors that look like they are in the ballpark but I still have not found any information confirming what the actual colors are on the AF-1. More stones need to be overturned...

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

uxrz9nl.jpg

I was very happy to recently find a 2002 issue of Koku Fan magazine in which the cover story features a Brazilian Navy Skyhawk. I was hoping that the write up would reveal what the grey camouflage colors are but it isn't that type of article. It's a short overview of the AF-1 in Brazilian service with some beautiful photography but not a in depth modelling/reference style of article that Koku Fan often does. 

On 5/26/2019 at 3:29 PM, Kagemusha said:

Hope this helps with the colours Greg.

hoH36v0.jpg

Hey thanks Kagemusha. Have not heard of CTA decals before. 

Unfortunately, I don't know what the correct colors for the AF-1 supposed to be, that's my problem. 

The CTA decal set you just let me know about says: FS26187, FS26214, FS26215.

The FCM decal instructions say: FS26187, FS26314, FS26515.

The Caracal Models decal set calls out for: FS35237, FS36473, FS36495

So far, I haven't found any reference to confirm any of these colors. 

Edited by GDW

17 hours ago, shark64 said:

Hataka paints are tricky to use and dont cover well. Good luck. I threw mine in the trash.

Did you try the acrylics or the lacquer line of paint?

Ok. Yeah, sorry to hear that was a bust. The Hataka grey that I want is only produced in their lacquer line so maybe I will be alright. I am curious to try it out.

20 hours ago, shark64 said:

Hataka paints are tricky to use and dont cover well. Good luck. I threw mine in the trash.

I did the same thing with 30 bottles of Model Master Acrylics after losing my shi….mind when it wouldn't stick to plastic or primer! Never again will Model Master acrylics be on my bench...rant over, back down off the soap box. Back to reading the article...sorry. 

Hey Greg!
If you ask me, you are digging way to much into the "proper" color area. Just test, pick the ones you feel fits best and apply them. Everybody sees the colors slightly differently. There is also color blindness in different levels. That is why if it is close to the original, it should be good enough. Besides in time the plane changed its colors due to aging. 

European modelers probably remember Opel's red from the early 90s and the hundreds of variations it got in the first 10 years of its life.

With airplanes is the same.

Again - pick several tones, test them out, mix them if you have, then pick and apply.

By the way you were about to send me an email a month ago with some decals that you needed evaluated. I never got that bud.

Hey, enquiring minds want to know! I thought I would post the question about the colors in the hope that someone who knew might respond while this project is on hold. In lieu of better information, I am going to use the Mr. Color greys on top, which to my eye look good so two of the three have been selected. Just have to test a couple light greys for the underside when I have the chance to do some spray outs. The Hataka light grey looks promising.

Right. The decals. Got ahead of myself there Mitko. Between the contract builds and this project, I decided not to get distracted by another shiny object! Currently, I am building the last model for the movie. I have to deliver it to Dan on the 11th of May. Then, work can resume on the AF-1 and I will get back with you about designing some more masks, which will be fun for sure. 

Greg

Edited by GDW

3 hours ago, GDW said:

have to deliver it to Dan on the 11th of May. Then, work can resume on the AF-1 and I will get back with you about designing some more masks, which will be fun for sure. 

Greg

Greg, buddy, 11th of May was 20 days ago. Just FYI
:)

Edited by Eagle Driver