Trying to come up with a way to do the pressure seal around the canopy. The Eduard photoetch parts are designed to be placed together, but I have separated them in order to have the seal pass between the two. I was initially going to use the copper wire for the seal but I'm rethinking that now. Fine plastic rod? Solder? Not sure. Gluing the seal is the issue so maybe stretched sprue or evergreen rod is the way to go.

ZqhJadI.jpg

1yUBpuR.jpg

wG7rQi8.jpg

iqV4tzt.jpg

Edited by GDW

Hmmm, I see your point.  The copper wire looks good in my opinion.  Surely thin CA would be good for gluing, but you would have to be careful with the fumes fogging the canopy.

I would probably go with plastic rod for ease of gluing if it were me. However I have had good success with solder wire and thin CA.

Sorry I was not a lot of help.... Whatever you do will look great as you are a perfectionist!

20 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hmmm, I see your point.  The copper wire looks good in my opinion.  Surely thin CA would be good for gluing, but you would have to be careful with the fumes fogging the canopy.

I would probably go with plastic rod for ease of gluing if it were me. However I have had good success with solder wire and thin CA.

Sorry I was not a lot of help.... Whatever you do will look great as you are a perfectionist!

I sat down after work today and thought I was going to finish with the wire and Eduard parts. The more I looked at it, the more I realized I didn't like what I was seeing. The photoetch pieces are too flat and gluing the wire down scares me.

QAO7H1q.jpg

iL6cdKR.jpg

After seeing what CJP did on the canopy of his A-4G, I would like to emulate his approach. That looks really good Chris!

K6svZsD.jpg

Edited by GDW

One cool thing I'd like to mention while on the subject of canopies, is this...

Notice how the front of the plastic glued to the canopy is white, while looking at it from the rear, it is black.

51daEEN.jpg

sxhgsIx.jpg

I colored the back side of the thin evergreen sheet with a Sharpie marker, then glued it to the canopy with Tamiya extra thin cement. The Sharpie ink blends with the glue so that the canopy frame looks like it is painted black when viewed through the clear plastic. Read Chuck Sawyer's P-38 Kicked Up A Notch WIP, where this technique is shown in detail. Thank you Chuck.

I did not like the look of the indentations in the canopy frame for the mirrors, so I blanked them off with the evergreen sheet. I figured even with the kit mirrors in place, those areas would be noticeable without filler work. The back sides of the photoetch got a little Sharpie treatment as well.

rIZEUXc.jpg

Edited by GDW

Hi Greg - I made a tracing of the internal bits I made for my Skyhawk cockpit but looking closely at your model I noticed the A4M canopy is a lot different to the A4G - as such these probably wont be much use to you so let me know if you want it deleted.

IMG_7751.jpg

Chris

Edited by CJP

• 4 weeks later...