24 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

Hello mate! That is looking just great!! If you are needing some inspiration - I scratch built the ADU 229 weapons adapter for my 1/32 Trump A-4E Skyhawk here: Klick here.

Cheers

Alan

I should of had you make one for me! How do you do such clean work? You need to make one and send it to Harold! Please, do a "How to make your own pylon" tutorial.

Edited by GDW

10 minutes ago, GDW said:

I should of had you make one for me! How do you do such clean work? You need to make one and send it to Harold! Please, do a "How to make your on pylon" tutorial.

Now, that’s not a bad idea at all... I knda need another one and don’t really want to build another one!! I like yours too - well engineered and accurate!

Great build so far - keep up the excellent work!! 

Cheers

Alan

Hi GDW - I found your build via Anthony in NZ's TA4K build - you have some really interesting information on your AF1 Skyhawk build and I will be following it - I am very interested in seeing how you tackle the Eduard vortex generators as I have a set for a rebuild I am doing on an old Hasegawa A4 and I have not decided how to go about fitting them - I used the Avionics A4E/F cockpit set & Aires wheel bay set which took a lot of fettling to fit - mine will eventually be finished as a RAN A4G early model with straight refuelling probe (at least that's the current thinking)

CJP

Greg sent me two of his mock ups with slightly different "wing" sizes.

I used #2 and narrowed the width of the "wings" a bit (they were a little wide), added the thingy on the bottom of the body, added rounded edges to the attachment points, flowed some of my super secret acrylic to blend in the body and under the "wings" . Then I made a casting of it. Now I have a fairly accurate if basic starting point. I will add the gussets and other small details soon.  My camera seems to make the adapter look chunky, it isn't

56Z87o.jpgKCtRQa.jpgd157IT.jpg

Here's what I sent Harold and look what he did with it! Incredible...

MjoaQF1.jpg

pIJUdA7.jpg

9TcspvI.jpg

I was afraid that I had removed to much material from the first rendition. I made the second one with oversize "wings" to allow him to have enough plastic to shape them the way he saw fit. 

Edited by GDW

18 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi GDW - I found your build via Anthony in NZ's TA4K build - you have some really interesting information on your AF1 Skyhawk build and I will be following it - I am very interested in seeing how you tackle the Eduard vortex generators as I have a set for a rebuild I am doing on an old Hasegawa A4 and I have not decided how to go about fitting them - I used the Avionics A4E/F cockpit set & Aires wheel bay set which took a lot of fettling to fit - mine will eventually be finished as a RAN A4G early model with straight refuelling probe (at least that's the current thinking)

CJP

Fitting the vortex generators. Well, I opted to leave them off the wings until just before applying the paint to avoid damaging them. I am thinking (not having attempted it yet) that a method I saw here on LSP is worth considering. The modeler, I forget who right now, placed the template down over the wing and airbrushed the locations with paint. Remove the template and the locations are layed out before you. I also think the method Eduard recommends in the instructions could be good too. Actually, I will start with using the template and see how well that works. 

Edited by GDW

CJP, by the way you described your project, I believe you are a true builder. If you feel comfortable posting your work on LSP, please do. I  would like to see some before, mid restoration and finished photos of your RAN A-4G for sure. Greg

2 hours ago, GDW said:

Fitting the vortex generators. Well, I opted to leave them off the wings until just before applying the paint to avoid damaging them. I am thinking (not having attempted it yet) that a method I saw here on LSP is worth considering. The modeler, I forget who right now, placed the template down over the wing and airbrushed the locations with paint. Remove the template and the locations are layed out before you. I also think the method Eduard recommends in the instructions could be good too. Actually, I will start with using the template and see how well that works. 

2 hours ago, GDW said:

CJP, by the way you described your project, I believe you are a true builder. If you feel comfortable posting your work on LSP, please do. I  would like to see some before, mid restoration and finished photos of your RAN A-4G for sure. Greg

Thanks GDW I shall watch your approach with interest on the VG's as I have not seen them used anywhere yet on a Skyhawk build - I have also taken on board your modifications to the Avionics Ejection Seat.

I have a WIP on my A4G going on Britmodeller which I started in October 2017 so progress is slow - It is my attempt to give a makeover to an old Hasegawa Skyhawk I had on the shelf of doom - I think it is probably too far along to put it up on here at this stage but this is the link -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027738-ran-a4g-skyhawk/

Chris

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Thanks GDW I shall watch your approach with interest on the VG's as I have not seen them used anywhere yet on a Skyhawk build - I have also taken on board your modifications to the Avionics Ejection Seat.

I have a WIP on my A4G going on Britmodeller which I started in October 2017 so progress is slow - It is my attempt to give a makeover to an old Hasegawa Skyhawk I had on the shelf of doom - I think it is probably too far along to put it up on here at this stage but this is the link -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235027738-ran-a4g-skyhawk/

Chris

Are you kidding me? This build is out of sight! I was thinking all those years I had a Hasegawa A-4 kit in my stash, that it wasn't good enough to bother with. After I used it as a paint mule, I realized that despite it age, it's a good model. You are doing it justice. Very few modelers can uplift the kit to the level you're taking it to though! Your thread has great links in it as well. Many thanks for posting the link to the build thread. Really enjoyed going through it.

Greg sent me two of his mock ups with slightly different "wing" sizes.

I used #2 and narrowed the width of the "wings" a bit (they were a little wide), added the thingy on the bottom of the body, added rounded edges to the attachment points, flowed some of my super secret acrylic to blend in the body and under the "wings" . Then I made a casting of it. Now I have a fairly accurate if basic starting point. I will add the gussets and other small details soon.

56Z87o.jpgKCtRQa.jpg