On 8/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, DonH said:

Yeah, I see what you see and I am calling it an error on the instructions.

You got it. After scratching my head and looking at many AF-1 images online, I am going to go with 337 + 308 and 311 + 308 for the top two colors.

Qex6I3r.jpg

3moJujy.jpg

Edited by GDW

On 8/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Perfect I would say!!

Really close. There does need to be more contrast. Hopefully, next weekend I'll have time to work with the Hasegawa paint tester and dial in the lightest color underneath as well. I am happy with the 308 + 311 grey but I want to darken the 1:1 mix of 337 + 308 with just a little more 337. That, my feeling is, will do it. I am very keen to experiment with weathering this paint job after it is clear coated. I've been mulling over ideas to replicate the kinds of things I'm seeing in this photo...

MjcUJlK.jpg

Edited by GDW

The ejection seat only needed a little more work before priming and now it's ready for detail painting. The resin overhead ejection handle, was poorly cast, fragile and miss shaped. I decided to make it out of something stronger and make it easier to attach as well. I made it out of telescoping aluminum rod and tube. The rod protruding out of the tube, fit nicely into the holes at the top of the seat which made for a strong attachment. The rod and tube both came from the Albion Alloys Slide Fit Aluminum Pack ALBSFT3. 

90LQ4Y8.jpg

The tube, with the rod inside of it, was bent using The Small Shops Photoetch Rolling Set. Having the rod inside of the tube prevented the hollow "pipe" from kinking as I shaped it on the die.

009d1RP.jpg

LiTzNsd.jpg

BmawHkT.jpg

MWJYFZS.jpg

MBllG5m.jpg

Edited by GDW

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

Now that will look awesome if you weather her like in the pics!  I plan on weathering my Kiwi one as well!

Loving your work

Anthony

I'm glad I ran across that picture! As soon as I saw it, I knew that's what I wanted to shoot for. I found another that is a good reference as well,

Gd38ODr.jpg

Wasn't in the mood to experiment with paint this weekend, but I did feel like building something. Now, I have been searching online and asking modelers on this and other forums, if there is a 1/32 resin ADU-299 Missile Launch Rail Adapter out there in aftermarket land. Our esteemed member Thierry Laurent, mentioned a single, kind of crude white metal one came in the Top Gun boxing of the Hasegawa A-4 years ago but those are difficult to find (and I don't want to buy the kit just for a poorly rendered pylon). I am by no means a skilled scratchbuilder. It's one thing to enhance a kit part with detail, quite another to accurately reproduce a scale replica from nothing. The talent and skill displayed on this site can make a job like this seem like it should be no problem. I am even more in awe of the work shown here now that I'm humbled by my attempt at making the ADU-299 M.L.R.A. Believe it or not, this little item was a challenge for me. I especially struggled to get it symmetrical (it's still not symmetrical). 

So, here's what I want to add to my model:

IwJ2fyk.jpg

Hp3uB3i.jpg

UEbWac8.jpg

Edited by GDW

When I was 13, I had a semester of Introductory drafting in Junior High School. I don't remember much and now I wish I would have taken it in High School! Anyway, I at least know to establish + lines to measure from (forgot what they are called). 

j01HXmI.jpg

cz6Bihp.jpg

HEkcfHJ.jpg

Edited by GDW