I'm fortunate that there are no markings painted over the vortex generators. Eric had to deal with that on his build. I've got it easy with this one. Although I think the Eduard set gives one the option of laying a decal down (or airbrushing some markings) and then simply painting the tabs and gluing them on top. I would do that on a U.S. Navy Skyhawk where the stars and bars go right over the vortex generators. The Eduard set is a real Godsend to Skyhawk modelers! I'd rather fold a bunch of simple right angle bends and glue, than try to make them out of plastic strip for sure.

I've been struggling with choosing paint for this project. Kagemusha gave me a push in the right direction with this regarding the top two colors,

Upper grey:  50/50 Gunze   337 & 308

Lower grey:  50/50 Gunze  308 & 311

I'm real happy to have a starting point to work from. I glued together a 1/32 Hasegawa A-4 that will serve as a spray out test bed.

Please, anything pertaining to available off the shelf paint or custom mixes that would replicate this paint scheme would be great to see. Thanks guys

Edited by GDW

Yes, I paid particular attention to the painting process in that article. I'm just not sure I can adopt his process and achieve a similar result. I like the idea of starting with the 50/50 mixtures you have provided and adjust those to personal taste. If anyone else wants to chime in, the more the merrier! Thanks Kagemusha for the third color combo.

PrevZrF.jpg

Here is the test bed. A blank canvas!

This kit has also been a testing ground for a technique I read about in Chuck540z3, P-38 kicked up a notch build. He demonstrates using Tamiya extra thin cement in multiple applications to close thin gaps in styrene plastic. I played around with that on this model to get the feel of it. Worked great. Even a very large gap where the forward portion of the avionics hump meets the top of the fuselage (right behind the cockpit) began to fill and close up after some treatment. Almost no gaps now. And no filler whatsoever.

Edited by GDW

Right. As a baseline to experiment with, I have:

-  50/50 Gunze    337 & 308

-  50/50 Gunze   308 & 311

-  50/50 Gunze   73 & 69

It will be great to see what these mixtures look like, sprayed out. Gonna give it a try.

More on paint...

I have a instruction sheet, included with a set of decals, which indicates these three Federal Standard numbers for the AF-1:

FS 36187

FS 36314

FS 36515

I don't know if these are accurate or not, but I have found three colors that correspond:

ApgcJ0k.jpg

wqCsmEz.jpg

PUcF6VF.jpg

Our friend from Sao Paulo, HerculesPA_2, let me know about the 1/48 Caracal Models decal sheet (#CD48070) which I picked up. Here are the color call outs according to this guide:

KajrQia.jpg

OoI20Md.jpg

Edited by GDW