A new 1/32 Tamiya F-14A/B/D Tomcat to end all debate and frustrations

timvkampen

It's funny this thread came up, because I was just thinking that with all the hoopla on the 48th Tomcat, I was thinking this would be their next 32nd relaease. There is a small chance they could release another WW2 subject, but I think with the time and effort they just put into a smaller scale, and with the new movie coming up, it would be sound financial investment.

Happy to see Tamiya do other things than an F-14 despite how awesome it would be.

You can get an amazing result from the Trump kit as demonstrated by numerous guys here.

Rob Sullivans a perfect example...as models get better the volume gets louder on problems that are far smaller.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1241

I have the Trumpeter D with Zacto inlets in the system here, and it looks promising if I can ever learn how to rescribe the engine nacelles after they get filled and sanded - maybe a 0.5mm line set of various latches and piano hinges is needed, Mr AirScale ?

Tamiya have not produced a new tool 1/32 jet since 2004. 1996 was when the Phantom II emerged, and IIRC the Eagle first appeared around 1990 and the Tomcat around 1982 or so.

By that estimate you'll see an F-35J around 2020.

Tony

Are there any kits of complex shaped jets without shape issues?

I'm not crazy about the Trumpeter nose and canopy profile but I think they are livable-withable.

If I could recoup the £200 spent on the big cat I would buy two Tamiya 1/48 F-14As and an AMK F-14D and be happy.

Tony

Guest Peterpools

I just finished building the Tamiya 48th scale F-14: a dream to build and no real issues. Just make this kit 32nd scale; change nothing and it will sell very well.

Peter

I'm a big Tomcat fan, and I'd love to have a new Tamiya cat to build especially with the new standard of kit that tamiya produce. Will it happen, probably not, but I do believe that you can get an amazing result with current kits, all of which will need aftermarket kits and modifications for a great looking model, but that's half the fun, and I believe that you can get a greater level of satisfaction by slogging it out if a non perfect kit. Currently in the WIP section, there's an amazing tomcat being built with the Trumpeter kit, and zactomodels intakes, with a heap of other goodies, which is the same plan that I have. I have the b kit and the zactomodels intakes, but several other kits to build before that one.

Guest Peterpools

I'm just on the other side of the fence and enjoy kits that aren't a magnet for AM sets to correct all the inaccuracies and short comings. For me slicing and dicing, correcting what is wrong and shouldn't be, normally these days a huge mental sign pops up saying: move on, buy something else and if it is in the stash, build something else.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Maybe AMK will upscale their new Tomcat to 1/32, that would be another option

lol

At this point , I would be happy with the 1/48 offering from them.

I would love to see Tamiya do a 1/32 F-14A/D. I don't see that happening.

Edited by 305 swag

I want Tamiya to release an all new 1/32 airplane. Then we can debate the choice. Buy not buy etc. I just hope they release one. My bet is nothing for the next two years then something after 2020. How far after 2020 though will be the question. Could be a while. Based upon Andy's hobby video sounds like a greater emphasis on 1/48 airplanes for a while.

Based upon the sales history of the current 1/32 F-14a/d they should know what the development cost vs profit a new plane would be. I don't know if the new Top Gun retake has an influence on this or not. Only option is to stay tuned and see what happens.

For sure!   Tamiya is one of if not THE only company I want to release...............well anything new in 32nd really.  Subject would be secondary for me, as the only Tamiya LSP kit I have had little or no intensest in is the Spitfire, simply based on the fact that I already had the one and only Spitfire build I planned on having in my display case.