A new 1/32 Tamiya F-14A/B/D Tomcat to end all debate and frustrations

timvkampen

All,

Having researched and read the various threads of different forums and having seen the sheer beauty of the new Tamiya F-14A and D Tomcat in 1/48 scale (http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/features/f14atamiya48dwa_1.htm ; http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303452-148-tamiya-f-14d/&page=10 )

it is time to ask / petition Tamiya for a new 1/32 scale Tomcat. It would be a perfect occasion when Top Gun 2 comes out next year (July 2019) for Tamiya to present an upscaled version of the 1/48 Tomcat in 1/32 scale.

It is rather incredible we still have to battle (serious battle) intakes, scribing, adding a cockpit, change the landing gear, wheels etc…We should stop buying the old molds (that are moldy J) and ask Tamiya to fill the gap.

Just to cite a remark that underlines the problems with other kits such as the Trumpeter one (and I add some links to discussions as well) from our master (if I may say so) modeller, Mark:

“The intakes aren't the problem Jim although sanding them left my workroom cloudy like a Chinese opium den.  I don't have any trust in the kit parts and trying to mark out and scribe on to the engine shrouds which are not only round but taper from front to back was the last straw.â€

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68014&page=3

I had to roll over the floor reading about the Chinese opium den, but it is true. You sand your behind off to try to get to an acceptable result and then still it feels wrong…(yes I have the kit too!).

Another thread: Tamiya vs. Revell vs. Trumpeter…

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68783&page=1

Tamiya has the best shape, but it is not up to the 1/48 standard (or more correct: the Tamiya standard of today).

That you can kick the old Tamiya into shape has been shown by a few of us. An example of blood, sweat and tears to get it right…and not everyone has this skill level or patience for that matter (chapeau Kai Wolters!!):

http://www.combatedgeproductions.com/scalemodeling/f-14/inprogress/f-14_inprogress.htm

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=6194

So, I already send a message to TAMIYA USA and made the suggestion. It may help even more if we all drop them a line and ask for an upscaled 48 Tomcat in 32. It was one of their first big planes in plastic and 2019 could be a good occasion (2020 also by the way J as I believe it hit the market in 1980?, so 40 years ago). It would bring a lot of modellers hours of construction pleasure and save a lot of money on all the aftermarket sets (some will still be helpful! J). So let,s start a campaign :) :m0152:

Guest Peterpools

After just finishing Tamiya's 48th scale Tomcat, I completely agree Tamiya nailed it right on the head: close to perfection. The kit was a joy to build. Most of the research and engineering is done and what still remains to upscale their 48th scale kit to 32nd scale, I do not know. I am sure if they do up-scale their Tomcat, there are a number of additions to the kit that normally are seen on the better 32nd scale kits , complete gun bay, radar and a bit more detailIng in the front office. Personally, I'll take it the exactly as the detail level of the 48th scale kit.

Still hoping Papa Tamiya is more then just thinking about it, if they even are.

I would be in for at least two to start, regardless of the price.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

To be honest, I'd rather they released the twin seater F-16D or at least reissued the P&W powered Viper in some form. I don't think that Tamiya responds to petitions or emailed suggestions in deciding what to release, but I think something like this might have a slight chance, whereas I think Tamiya making a new tool 1/32 Tomcat would have no chance.

And what makes you think Top Gun part deuce will be centered around the Tomcats? Probably going to be F-18's or some fictitious new Navy stealth fighter.

But agreed, new F-14 and 2 seat F-16 would be great.

I don't know what a "moldy J" is, but a new tool 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat would be wonderful.

Unfortunately the liklihood of a twin seat Sixteen is about the same as a late production F-4E or, better still, an RF-4E/EJ: about zero. T has already gone on record to say those are not being visited.

There's another, slightly naughty, side of me that wants to see Century Series and Naval jets given Tamiya 1/48 treatment, starting with a definitive SLUF and Thud.

Tony

And what makes you think Top Gun part deuce will be centered around the Tomcats? Probably going to be F-18's or some fictitious new Navy stealth fighter.

But agreed, new F-14 and 2 seat F-16 would be great.

No not per se. Flash backs, who knows. But the fact is the Tomcat always played a big part in our modelling conscious (at least those we saw it when they were in their teens :)).

The work to upscale may not be too much of a hassle; all the research was done, engineering solutions made etc. Add a radar or canon (I do not need it really) and you have a best seller in both scales.

That would be great to have them upscale the tomcat for sure! But the chances are pretty slim I think as the tooling cost would put it at about $300 per kit especially if Tamiya added dropped slats and flaps. I can imagine the howling that would go along with that price tag. The tamiya mossie retails for $230ish and street price is still $190ish so I can see a f14 street price at around $250. Pretty expensive for a lot of people although I think would probably still sell well to the few die hard fans but not so much to the more numourous general builders. I hope I'm wrong but I won't hold my breath.

Guest Peterpools

Maybe they should just leave the kit as is,  just up scale it and not go with movable control surfaces. Normally when I get a kit with everything moving, I wish they weren't. They proved a kit well detailed and with their awesome fit will sell. Look at the  HB 48th scale kit were everything is hanging out: I bought it and sold it - way to much fuss and fit issues.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

it is time to ask / petition Tamiya for a new 1/32 scale Tomcat. It would be a perfect occasion when Top Gun 2 comes out next year (July 2019) for Tamiya to present an upscaled version of the 1/48 Tomcat in 1/32 scale.

For Tamiya it would be far better business to make Super Hornet in advance to please the fans, instead of a Tomcat.

You have a great idea though.

Guest Maxim

As much as I'd like to see a new tooled F-14A by Tamiya, and I'd buy a couple, I'd really like to see Tamiya do something like the F-86F Sabre in 32 scale, and then add a Mig-15 to go with it.