Tamiya P51 Mustang

Vynce804

14 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Mike,  good guess but I’m actually going to finish it as a 353rd fighter group machine.  19squadron did indeed have a similar black and yellow banded spinner but the colours are reversed when compared to the 353rd.

cheers

Matt

True :doh:  

OK, it's not RAF, but it's Mighty Eighth, so carry on. :D  Following.

So all the main components are together and I'm almost ready to start the paintwork.  I had to change my plan for this kit though.  I had always envisaged keeping the engine cowling panels removable  as you can with this kit, but after a very frustrating afternoon trying to make them fit i had to admit defeat and glue them in place and so loose all of that fab engine detail.  Its not that the fit of the panels was bad it was that they weren't quite good enough and to make them fit precisely you had to maintain some pressure on the panels.  I would probably always display this kit with the panels on so in the end the decision wasn't hard and lets face it we all have loads of models we lavished time and hard work on intricate internal detail which are very important to get right at the time but when the kit is finished you can hardly see the fruits of your labours if at all.....HK B17 for example!

As you can see the nose is now yellow and I'm preparing to mask the chequers...should be fun!

Cheers

Matt

uzAXGQ5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

Wow!   You say you got into this hobby when Tamiya's gem was available, so your experience level is probably less than many of the contributors to this fantastic forum.   To my eye, you've already developed a pleasing style that's different to many of the builds I see.  I like the way you appear to have used lighter shades of paint to highlight some edges and surfaces of parts, such as the ribs in the wheel bays.   (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)   Your paint is finely applied and you've achieved a sense of realism, particularly with the cockpit sidewalls.   To cap it off, your photography is top-notch - just the sort of sharpness and clarity that allows us to appreciate your fine work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard modelling lesson no.58  if you skimp on the prep before laying down a NMF it will look rubbish!  The primer looked fine to me...honestly,    but when i laid down the Ak extreme metal paint it looked terrible so no option but to break out the 4000 and 6000 grade micro mesh and wet sand it all back and try again,  made only slightly harder as I have already painted all of the markings!  oh well you live and learn and I'm sure it will be ok in the end!

cyu2mPP.jpg

cUB80CY.jpg

ok  thats much better, the paint went down very nicely 2nd time around!  cleanup then a gloss coat and then more clean up  before weathering begins!...oh and and paint the wings  i had forgotten that detail!

Cheers

Matt

X0dlpEY.jpg

48TiZHx.jpg

Edited by Vynce804