New to Airbrushing

Robthepom

Well it all arrived today:frantic:

Bruce's advice above is perfect, you must remember i have never held an airbrush before and only watched tutorials on Youtube, i have to say i'm pretty amazed and pleased with myself that I got the results i did with my first 20 drops of paint, RAF interior green sprayed on Airfix Typhoon extras

I even managed to get a mottled effect without even trying haha

what a dream start cant wait to continue my education, any advice will be welcome, i might add to this thread as questions arise:wub:

fdz97vO.jpg

9iPV87P.jpg

6Zrs31a.jpg

My HP-CS is by far and away, my workhorse. Its dependable, durable shoots well, and if you clean it decently after each color you shoot (I tried in the past limiting the cleaning fluid to the type used to thin the paint I just shot with it, but have since found that acetone clean it better than most any thinner available IMHO) you should get years and years of trouble free enjoyment out of that air brush. 

Enjoy it and practice with it a lot!  

On 6/29/2018 at 10:42 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Thats what I used to think..........................until I went to pick up my H&S Infinity! 

I have the same machine, just superb.

12 hours ago, Robthepom said:

Well it all arrived today:frantic:

Bruce's advice above is perfect, you must remember i have never held an airbrush before and only watched tutorials on Youtube, i have to say i'm pretty amazed and pleased with myself that I got the results i did with my first 20 drops of paint, RAF interior green sprayed on Airfix Typhoon extras

I even managed to get a mottled effect without even trying haha

what a dream start cant wait to continue my education, any advice will be welcome, i might add to this thread as questions arise:wub:

Cleanliness really is next to Godliness :)

Rob, well done!  I have the exact same airbrush and use it for well over 95% of my painting (as well as the H&S Infinity for REALLY fine work).  The only thing I would suggest is make sure you clean it promptly after every use - don't be lazy like I used to be.  It works so much better clean!

Now get yourself a paint mule to practice on (old or cheap kit) and go to town on different mixtures and pressures.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Chris

I should have bought one years ago, this is my first spraying on a proper model

One big tip I have found with airbrush spraying is that lighting is very very important, my spay booth LED are terrible, the frame didnt look covered then i took it out of booth and it was perfect, i'm now thinking of how to customise my garage for spraying:coolio:

3zhez6R.jpg

Edited by Robthepom

Hi Guys,

I’m glad to see Rob’s getting good results with his new set up, airbrushing can be a heck of a pain in the posterior OR a tremendous amount of fun.  Just depends on what combination of airbrush, paint and cleaning you employ. I found MIssion Models Paint worked straight away with their suggested mixes and have stuck with them and had great results. Well, I think they are great results, others may disagree!

I have shifting confidence levels so I really have to steel myself and pick up the courage to start using the airbrush, I’ll put it off for days as I’m scared of ruining the model.  But once I start, I love it!  Then I’ll binge paint, the same way I build models! 

However, the learning curve with airbrushing is very steep.  You think you’ve got a great technique then you see someone else’s work and realise you’re just a beginner. My best tools are Tamiya tape, totally invaluable, blu-tak, kitchen roll for big area masking and patience. Don’t rush, get calm, then start to spray.

Edit: forgot to say, the MMP  needs time for the Urethane additive to work and smooth out the pigment. It may not look like the “right” colour but go back half an hour later and the colour will change. I love the stuff!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Rob

One tip or observation I can give you is that the final effect of airbrushed parts change quite a bit depending on the type and color of an undercoat. I tend to nowadays coat most of the parts in satin black or Tamiya gray primer before spraying the final color. I have been airbrushing since 1974 and wish I had discovered the importance of an undercoat much earlier.

Nick