New to Airbrushing

Robthepom

Hello fellows

I'm loving modelling at the moments but getting very frustrated by not being able to create/mix my own colours, so i'm taking the plunge and spending this years tax return on a airbrush kit and paints, see my list below

My questions are :

• are there any other 'essentials' that i will need to get started.
  • Is this a good beginners package?

The Australian airbrush supplier is also the distributor for Mission Model Paints, they have good reviews so i thought I'd try some

H9xgHAN.jpg?1

Edited by Robthepom

Hi,

I've used the paint for a year and love it. Just stick to Mission Models mix instructions and you'll be ok. Apply in thin layers and build up the colour opacity.

Don't mix the paint in the airbrush, use a plastic container and a stirrer, like the wooden coffee stirrers you get in the coffee shops. Similarly, don't use a hand held electric mixer, it will put way too much air into the mix and that will reduce its sprayability. If you get tip drying on your airbrush you've probably got something wrong with either the mix or the air pressure. Start off with MMP recommended air pressure then adjust to suit your spraying style and the local temperature and humidity. It's a bit of suck it and see!

The airbrush you've chosen will handle MMP easily. You'll be able to cover large areas as well as fine lines at the other end.

Only use the MMP thinner/reducer with the paint, I've tried other thinners but the MMP one is best, some others give a graininess to the finish and you may find you get tip drying. It is expensive but you don't need much. I clean up with water and only use the thinner for the final cleaning.

I retired last year and spent some time comparing paints in back to back tests of paint, thinners, airbrushes to get the best combinations. Rapidly came to the conclusion that MMP was pretty good, easy to use, no smell, no nasties and a great finish.

With the dropper system you'll soon find out you can guesstimate how much paint you need for a particular model. I work in multiples of 10 drops and hardly waste any at all.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Yes, my HP-CS is my workhorse. It's one of the best middle of the road/all use air brushes.

The Iwata CS is also one of the more durable and reliable airbrushes I've ever used as well. The needle is super stout.

Bruce knows of which he speaks.

When it arrives, mess around on an old model with varying pressures & paint/thinner mixes. You'll get the hang of the mixes before being let loose on a new model.

Start the paint flow before you move the airbrush over the model, and stop it after moving away from the model, if possible. I messed up a couple of models before learning that one.

Can't go wrong with Iwata stuff. They only have the one problem, they're damned expensive!

I have a H&S Evolution CR Plus, and have never been happy with it. Odd.

Kev

To tell you the truth Kev, for the price I paid for it I'm underwhelmed with my Infinity.

It works well for mottling, and very fine line, but its temperamental, needs thorough cleaning a lot and the needle is extremely weak compared to my CS.

I have to undertake this journey myself. But the cost is prohibitive at this stage. Like you, I am also expecting a tax return, and I have to weigh up my options. Airbrush, or  the new HKM 1/32 Lanc. The Lanc wins hands down.

Edited by Gerhard

Thanks for the reply's guys, looks like I have chosen well, the variety is a bit daunting,

As for budget...I don't buy cheap stuff I,ve worked 22 years in the mining industry so luckily can afford better equipment and models

I,m actually quiet exicited I just hope I can be as good I think I am

To tell you the truth Kev, for the price I paid for it I'm underwhelmed with my Infinity.

It works well for mottling, and very fine line, but its temperamental, needs thorough cleaning a lot and the needle is extremely weak compared to my CS.

I find the same as Brian. I bought my Infinity based on looks alone I think but I have drifted back to my HP-CS. The H&S just seems over-engineered and the needles are way more fragile